Wide ~16.5 - 17.5ft boat?

sterlingz

Title, looking for recommendations on a wide aluminum boat for trolling medium to large sized lakes, including Erie. I like a wide transom boat as this allows room to negotiate riggers etc.

The dead boat is a 167 kodiak, really nice boat but it seems crowded in the rear due to design.

Edit: I should mention that in fact Crestliners are usually wide, but the usable space in the back is limited due to seat design. I've edited OP.

Last edited:
I run a 99 1750 Crestliner Fish hawk SC... Tonnes of room and 2" shy of 8' wide...

I have a smokercraft that I'm looking to get rid of.... Don't read the grateful post ...OK?
It is actually a good boat to downrig out of.

Mine is a 17 foot Smokercraft deep water troller and I love mine. The only thing I want to add to it is a 4 hp 4 stroke for a kicker. It was my uncle's boat originaly but I bought it when he was no longer able to leave the home. Even though she is 40 years old, she does not leak a drop of water.

Title, looking for recommendations on a wide aluminum boat for trolling medium to large sized lakes, including Erie. I like a wide transom boat as this allows room to negotiate riggers etc.

The dead boat is a 167 kodiak, really nice boat but it seems crowded in the rear due to design.

Edit: I should mention that in fact Crestliners are usually wide, but the usable space in the back is limited due to seat design. I've edited OP.
I run a Spectrum similar to this one listed on kijiji

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-m...at/1292776901?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

like to depth as well as width and with the ped seats removed tons of room

I second the Princecraft, I have a 2007 176 love it. Been out on Erie in rough water and still felt safe. Seasick but safe. Canadian made.

had the same sort of decision this past winter and wanted a wider deeper boat with nice sized gunnels for riggers and tracks. After looking at a bunch of different boats of the same style in person all in one day at the Toronto Boat show it came down to the StarCraft Super Fisherman or the Lund Tyee or Crossover (all 18' models) In the end it came down to storage and we went with the 1875 Lund Crossover. Couldn't be happier and we have been out on Erie and Ontario TONS this year and its handled even the 5-6 footers like a dream! attached a panoramic pic to give you an idea of the setup...we love it!
Ryan

Attachments

• Riggers.jpg
    Riggers.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 72
I have a 16.5 aluminum SmokerCraft with a 90 that I love. But when the time has come, and the money, :) i'm seconding what kingkiller said: 1800 Lund Fisherman! Fished in many fishing boats, and it handled the rough water best, with tons of room! (y) The Rebel I find they went cheap with the narrow gunnels and the depth isnt there either! Not like the 1800 Fisherman.

Check out the Lund 1875 Crossover. Large area in the back for trolling and very wide. 10 inches wider then the 1775 Impact.

Attachments

• 20170910_112038_resized.jpg
    20170910_112038_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
Lunds are awesome boats, but before you decide have a look at a Starcraft Superfisherman 17. I have an 09 Superfisherman 180 and it's a tank. Wide gunnels with tracks, wide 100 inch beam, 19 degree deadrise that breaks waves like they aren't even there, and the setup is ideal for family and fishing. Just something to consider.

Re my comment about about the prince craft. If your looking to avoid the issues with our dollar being low and buying the American made boats, look up Ryan scharringa at trailer world in Brant ford. He had the best prices as well as himself and staff have been amazing to deal with. Best customer service I've found regarding any product in the longest time. I am much closer to hully gully, and made the hour + drive down there last year to deal with him! Just an FYI.

Ryan Scharringa
Trailerworld Industries Inc.
P:(519) 752-1135
F:(519) 752-3919
www.trailerworld.ca

We love our 177 prince craft sport. Zero complaints.
I've owned 3 Prince crafts, my last one was a 17.6 platinum, had it back to the manufacture 3 times for rivets.
boat let more water in than kept out. I couldn't believe the poor workman ship that's under the floor. never own another. Have a Lund now, rides much quieter.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks