Wiarton salmon fishing

IamMoe

Anybody here ever fish colpoys bay for salmon? I'm heading up to wash some lures hoping to catch the Owen sound salmon spectacular winner and any advice would be great. I heard long leads and flurocarbon is a must off riggers but that's about it. Any help would be appreciated.

Fished there Aug long weekend, had limited success but am fairly new at it, we fished north side of Colpoys from end of cottages to out past clay banks , got a few salmon , biggest was 11.5, and a few rainbow and a bunch of small lakers. We just used typical walleye stuff, spoons and redfins, fished 80 to 100ft of water with riggers down 65-75 and dipseys on #3 setting out 150 to 200. Wish I could be more help but just learning myself

This time of year you could try Lymans or J-Plugs or even Ping-A-Tees.

Anybody here ever fish colpoys bay for salmon? I'm heading up to wash some lures hoping to catch the Owen sound salmon spectacular winner and any advice would be great. I heard long leads and flurocarbon is a must off riggers but that's about it. Any help would be appreciated.
I use to fish just down the road in meaford a lot and in Owen sound , Lyman lures (green was best for me) and silver fox spoons green silver/blue silver were my go to spoons..
Salmon prefer 54 degrees
I usually used 100' leads down 55 & 65 in 80 to 140 fow . Good luck hope you catch the winner!!

I typically fish in colpoys. There is a nice little launch just outside of oxendon, on the east side. About 5km out of Wiarton. Go to oxendon and turn left. It'll take you to a nice little feeder creek that flows into the bay with a nice little launch. I caught a couple salmon and bows there last year. 80-100' out and about 50' down. Salmon like the plugs or lynmans if you have one and the trout are hitting spoons pretty regularly.

Thank you for the replys. Best info so far. I seems like everyone who fishes there often are pretty tight lipped when it comes to info up there. Is there a lot of parking in oxendon? Could I launch a 23'walkaround there?

Not sure about Oxeden but I know there's lots of parking at town ramp, good double ramp and free

Oxenden not good for that size boat, Wiarton is good like previously stated, Big Bay also has a good ramp, just have to make sure there is no East or North wind in the forecast, could make for rough landing on return. Big Bay is 12 miles east of Wiarton on county rd. 1 just around the corner from Owen Sound

If you fish the North side,There is a cottage with a long stairway to the beach a bout 10 from the end,Start there and stay out in about 55 fow.There are fingers that extend out so watch your depth. Troll around the end of the fingers. Try a Blue Ladderback Lyman. You may pick up rainbow. Keep travelling toward White Cloud Island Staying out about 200 feet from shore. There is a gravel beach and it gts a bit shallow so swing out and Salmon are there too.Good luck.I got 5th place in the derby about 8 years ago.

I lived there for 16 years. Fishing is not what it used to be but still fun. I used to own the home with the long stairway to the beach.In the spring it is good off of Caframo the orange colored factory. In the fall ,where you are going. Use the townramp. Good ramp and plenty of parking."Top Notch Motel" for breakfast,Where are you staying?

I am staying with my wife's grandparents are in Elmwood so it's not that far away. I'm always looking for a good breakfast place! I have fished Owen sound before but with little luck so I figured we would try colpoys bay.

Back