Who’s got minnows

Muellz17

Who’s got minnows ??? Looking to get out on the bay .
Thanks

Lots of good size minnows in all of the marinas right now. With one pull of the net last Sunday I had about a gallon.
Kept about 2 cups for curing so I have minnows in July and August when they're scarce.
I use a 5 foot umbrella net.

I take a gallon of salt brine water from my softener to the lake with me. Live minnows go into brine. Once home I lay them on paper and gently pat dry. Into a zip lock bag and add a cup of pickling salt. Shake them up a bit to cover with salt then into the inner part of an old salad spinner. Leave it in the outer bowl. into the fridge over nite. In morning back into the brine (which I strained with a nylon or cheese clothe) and gently swirl around to rinse off any excess salt. Lay on paper again and gently pad dry. Wrap a few dozen at a time in paper towel and store them in a ziplock in the freezer.
At no point do I rinse them off with clean water. They hold their scales well and are pliable and life like come summer. You can get a cheap salad spinner at the $ store.
Don't take too many as you're only allowed 10 dozen per licence.

I take a gallon of salt brine water from my softener to the lake with me. Live minnows go into brine. Once home I lay them on paper and gently pat dry. Into a zip lock bag and add a cup of pickling salt. Shake them up a bit to cover with salt then into the inner part of an old salad spinner. Leave it in the outer bowl. into the fridge over nite. In morning back into the brine (which I strained with a nylon or cheese clothe) and gently swirl around to rinse off any excess salt. Lay on paper again and gently pad dry. Wrap a few dozen at a time in paper towel and store them in a ziplock in the freezer.
At no point do I rinse them off with clean water. They hold their scales well and are pliable and life like come summer. You can get a cheap salad spinner at the $ store.
Don't take too many as you're only allowed 10 dozen per licence.
Thank-you I had no idea about a 10 dozen limit

perfectly firm but not dryed out frozen salted emerald shiner double hooked where the barb just goes through the gill plate a second time, ya if your lucky to catch some bigger shiners in the mix..seperate and salt them and use them for spring brown trout..

If the Bay your fishing is Mitchell's Bay just go to Eric's Bait Stop in W'burg and buy some. For about $7.00 you get 2 or 3 dozen in a scoop at least. If not Mitchell's Bay, then catch your own may be your next best option and if your fishing that day or the next you might not even need to salt them but it is a great way to make sure you always have some on hand.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks