Off Topic Which is better... Church TX-22 or Walleye Planer Board

Paul G

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hi everyone.

I am looking for some advice in regards to which planer boards are better, as I would like to purchase a couple of them. From what I can tell, there isn't much of a difference. Does it come down to personal preference? I know that the TX-22 is convertible from port to starboard, but is that, that much of a benefit? The price difference seems to be negligible. What is everyone's favourite? And why so if you can?

Option 1
Church TX-22 Planer Board
Option 2
Church Walley Planer Board
Option 3
With or without the double-action flags?

Looking forward to seeing everyone's response.

Thanks in advance, stay healthy
Paul

Attachments

• Church TX-22 Planer Board Pro Pack.jpg
    Church TX-22 Planer Board Pro Pack.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Church Walleye Planer Board Pro Pack.jpg
    Church Walleye Planer Board Pro Pack.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I run walleye boards with tattle flags and super clips because I run braid on my rods. TX22 are just as good if not better. The walleye boards are dedicated to one side of the boat but TX22 can be run either port or starboard just by flipping them over. If you put tattle flags on a TX22 it becomes dedicated to either port or starboard. The tattle flags are handy for small fish and seeing hits that would go undetected without them. I swear by them

Finally a real fishing thread. I run the Offshore In-line boards. Upgraded clips (front and back). I use the flags (not tattle tales) They work well. Belt out your line. Clip it on and let it run out. Stack your rod in your triple tree and set the drag so that it barely holds the line from going out. When you hear the drag rip...put down your beverage and reel in your meat.

One thing I’ve learned the hard way about tackle/equipment/tools etc. You may save a buck or two by purchasing cheaper but it ends up costing you more down the road.

Any reason your stuck on church boards? I ran walleye boards for 10 years, and then tried some offshores. I’ve come to prefer offshores with snapper releases and tattle flags. Never ran a tx22 but the Walleye boards where decent.

Anyone have experience with gator boards.
Seen a few youtube videos and they look good. 35 bucks american with tattle flags

You really need flag for Lake Erie for the most part. I run a Church walleye boards on Lake Ontario without flag. Once the fish bites, one will notice. I would go with the Walleye as they are just a tiny bit bigger than TX-22. I think the only differences are fraction of an inch length and also the fact that the TX-22 can be assembled as either left or right until you populate the flag.

I would get not 1 but 2 sets of Walleye with flag if I don't care about the budget.

Budget friendly, you can buy 1 set of Church Walleye planers without the flag and 1 set of Opti planers $35 at Bills store with flag.

Last edited:
Any reason your stuck on church boards? I ran walleye boards for 10 years, and then tried some offshores. I’ve come to prefer offshores with snapper releases and tattle flags. Never ran a tx22 but the Walleye boards where decent.
Hi, I can't say that I'm stuck on Church planer boards. I have watched several videos and the Church models seem to be well liked by most. I was just hoping to get opinions from people around here with local experience on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Thanks for your input.

Church seem to be better quality than the rest. Thicker, more sturdy build. Made in the USA.

x2 on the boards and the releases. For what it's worth, I'd say 80% of the in-line boards I've seen down the west end of the lake are Offshores too (which is a LOT of boards).

Hi, I can't say that I'm stuck on Church planer boards. I have watched several videos and the Church models seem to be well liked by most. I was just hoping to get opinions from people around here with local experience on Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. Thanks for your input.

nothing wrong with churches. I like the way offshores pull myself and I find them very easy to make my own tattle flags for cheap using the existing flags. You only need the flags for pickerel though. You get a spring king on lake O on a board and your going to know it!

x2 on the boards and the releases. For what it's worth, I'd say 80% of the in-line boards I've seen down the west end of the lake are Offshores too (which is a LOT of boards).
So what would be a comparable Offshore model to the Walleye board?

So what would be a comparable Offshore model to the Walleye board?
Offshore OR12, most guys add the OR-18 snapper release to the front as @big rod mentioned. Tattle flags are nice but not really necessary especially if you're running a bunch of boards since you can easily see which ones fall out of formation when fish are on.

Thanks to all for your responses. I had a visit at Bill's Bait (1 person in store at a time) yesterday and spoke with Tim regarding either the Offshore and Church Tackle Walleye board. It was a close call but, the result is that I am the new owner of a set of Church Tackle Walleye boards, he tells me that I will not be disappointed. Hopefully we can all be on the lake soon.
Happy fishing!

I wouldnt buy small boards ever again. Buy a mast and amish boards. U can run 6 lines a side if need be. If there is 4 people on the boat I run a dedicated leadcore program 8 rods 4 a side if u tried it u would never go back. Why u think the charters run big boards

I use church's walleye boards... No flags... If you use all the same rods on your boards and set your drags so they just stop clicking... You'll notice even a perch or silver bass... When it gets lumpy out i double wrap the front clip...

Mast and big board system works well but most smaller boats don't have the room to store all the gear... I've seen some things go sideways easy with the big boards in rough water... Small boards are easy to use and take up no room...

I'd also have a look at the new Dreamweaver Ninja boards... One hand operation...

@jammerwell that's because people buy cheap foldable planner boards buy amish outfitter boards. I've owned them for 6 years never had them flip over or do anything crazy. Only thing I've ever had happen was grab a gob of floating weeds. Which small boards are subject to as well. I'm telling u I will never go back to having to F around unclipping a planner board off my line and fight the board up to the boat. Nothing beats snapping off ypur line and being one on one with the fish to the boat. I personally dont care what anyone else runs just trying to give some insight to the guy instead of just mini boards. I used to run em when I was younger but never again unless I'm forced to run bottom bouncers and go super slow

I use Offshore, only brand I've ever tried. I put the OR18 release on the back of the board and a medium release on the front. If the outside board gets a fish you just snap your rod and release the front clip. The released board is held by the OR18. Hold rod tip up for a few seconds, board swings around to straight behind the boat and you wind it in.
This set up isn't necessary if running 1 or 2 per side, but works great if using 3 or 4 per side.

@jammerwell that's because people buy cheap foldable planner boards buy amish outfitter boards. I've owned them for 6 years never had them flip over or do anything crazy. Only thing I've ever had happen was grab a gob of floating weeds. Which small boards are subject to as well. I'm telling u I will never go back to having to F around unclipping a planner board off my line and fight the board up to the boat. Nothing beats snapping off ypur line and being one on one with the fish to the boat. I personally dont care what anyone else runs just trying to give some insight to the guy instead of just mini boards. I used to run em when I was younger but never again unless I'm forced to run bottom bouncers and go super slow

Actually all instances were with Amish boards... With seasoned captains... When the water gets snotty... Chit happens...

I'm glad they work well for you...

Hi everyone.

I am looking for some advice in regards to which planer boards are better, as I would like to purchase a couple of them. From what I can tell, there isn't much of a difference. Does it come down to personal preference? I know that the TX-22 is convertible from port to starboard, but is that, that much of a benefit? The price difference seems to be negligible. What is everyone's favourite? And why so if you can?

Option 1
Church TX-22 Planer Board
Option 2
Church Walley Planer Board
Option 3
With or without the double-action flags?

Looking forward to seeing everyone's response.

Thanks in advance, stay healthy
Paul
Church,walleye planers no flag

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks