Where are the birds?

Is anyone seeing any significant numbers of birds, either around the marsh or in the bay yet?

Not here yet hunted all last weekend it was not good. the bay is brutal was out in big rice could not even move with boat to get ducks 20 minutes just to get one duck very tough conditions

Soon.... There's an unfathomable amount of birds out west right now. Ottawa guys have been reporting more and more birds showing up. Hopefully water in the Unit holds up. These west winds don't help.

watched the east feeder last night at sunset in that gale. Very sad...maybe 20 ducks in total came in for the 20 min I watched.

Rumour has it that there are a few birds several miles east of that feeder. Maybe the blow mixed them up a bit.

As we all know last year they didn't show up until December as we had unseasonably warm weather all fall . Weather this year seems to be cooperating a little more.There are birds down just not in big numbers as Duckman sighted approx 10,000 bluebill off the Lighthouse on the Lake
OCLP bagged a bufflehead yesterday and another brother picked up a pair of Gadwalls on the weekend ,so yes there are western and northern birds down and I heard some Ruddy's were even shot in the Unit .Hopefully the Redheads will be here in numbers within the next week or so .Remember divers usually showed up here around the 21st of October most years .

We hunted Pottahawk on Thanksgiving with decent results. 8 birds including 2 gadwalls, the rest mallards. Very wind and rough coming back in.

We've shot every duck mentioned except a ruddy.To date this is the worst season I have ever at the lake.Long Poit Compony is hold thousands of birds and I mean thousands.

I've only hunted the unit twice this year. Very slow down there. Got a ringneck and 2 wigeon first time out, and on the 10th, got one Ruddy which was one of the few ducks I saw all day.

Banter year for geese and ducks in the fields so far though. Done quite well hunting silage.

P.S. Where I have normally shot the lesser (James Bay) Canadas as early as early Sep, I had not seen them here until this week.

i have seen/read reports and studies, and have gone to college and university, for fish and wildlife, and ecosystem biology and if the birds are over harvested year after year, like luther and hullet and even here long point, they will use other flight paths to head south!!!! hint the ottowa spots and michigan are doing amazing harvest in numbers and size of birds!!!!
just like fish spawning (walleye/perch), if u hammer them going into the streams year and years, they start to spawn on shoals and diff. rivers to avoid the killing!!!.
my father went up to hunt moose 20 hrs north of ontario and he said he saw no birds anywhere, and asked everywhere he sopped and nothing seen or heard!! i think their is a problem here????

More and more birds coming down. Still lots of Widgeons and Pintails being had. Bluebills are starting to show up

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks