When do the fish tend to head out from the Canadian side and back over to the states?

BucKnives

I know there would be residential fish sticking around but when about do the masses of walleye we see head back south for the winter? Looking to get out once or twice in Sept but have heard the fish are usually gone the start of Sept.

I know there would be residential fish sticking around but when about do the masses of walleye we see head back south for the winter? Looking to get out once or twice in Sept but have heard the fish are usually gone the start of Sept.
They actually return to the west side of the lake
" not all but majority " Ohio and Michigan as well on Ontario side they be running up the rivers for spring spawning like the Detroit River as well spawning on the lake
So it's not the South side only
Around end of September I believe the migration starts

A excellent question @BucKnives 👍👍 for I am curious 🧐 as well to know this. Thanks in advance for anyones input on this question,and hopefully tight lines & walleye’s ON!! even into the month of September! 🚤🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🤞🤞👍🙂

In past years I have found by the second or third week of September when it starts to drop in to single digits at night and the surface water temperature drops below 65 most of the fish will be gone no more big schools and quick limits. You will still be able to catch fish right into mid October but it will be slim pickings and you have to pick good days and good luck.

I've fished in early October and posted results in 2017/2018, but I am pretty sure the last few years around the third week of September things cool down.

I pull the boat before The Neighbour takes off for the North for his annual Manitoulin outing in October.

They actually return to the west side of the lake
" not all but majority " Ohio and Michigan as well on Ontario side they be running up the rivers for spring spawning like the Detroit River as well spawning on the lake
So it's not the South side only
Around end of September I believe the migration starts
Good to know @Ticker and here’s hoping 🤞 for light winds in September,which unfortunately they tend to be stronger and more of,due to “I think” because of the hurricane’s starting to come up from the south,along the east coast,which tends to affect our Great Lake’s inland. 🚤🎣🐟🤞🤞👍🙂

In past years I have found by the second or third week of September when it starts to drop in to single digits at night and the surface water temperature drops below 65 most of the fish will be gone no more big schools and quick limits. You will still be able to catch fish right into mid October but it will be slim pickings and you have to pick good days and good luck.
How deep @Tom Cat would the walleye’s be at around the 3rd week of September? I am hoping to be walleye fishing still in that month,weather permitting of course. I am just guessing that there might be the odd rainbow trout off some of our port’s in the Fall,such as off,Port Stanley,Bruce,or even Burwell,as well off those creek’s? I have never fished for rainbow’s in Lake Erie in the Fall,out of my boat,but instead in the Fall,off some of the river mouth’s on Lake Huron. Thanks in advance for your answer back,if you do reply back. 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

How deep @Tom Cat would the walleye’s be at around the 3rd week of September? I am hoping to be walleye fishing still in that month,weather permitting of course. I am just guessing that there might be the odd rainbow trout off some of our port’s in the Fall,such as off,Port Stanley,Bruce,or even Burwell,as well off those creek’s? I have never fished for rainbow’s in Lake Erie in the Fall,out of my boat,but instead in the Fall,off some of the river mouth’s on Lake Huron. Thanks in advance for your answer back,if you do reply back. 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

I'm already out 11 1/2 miles fishing in 61 1/2 ft of water and deeper and there are lots of boats out much deeper than I am.

There are fish shallower but the bait and hooks out here just aren't found shallower that I have experienced.

I'll be fishing this waypoint until things change. Hopefully for another three weeks. LOL. 🌻

I don’t change my program much l usually start in 60 feet and troll out to 65 or 67 the fish are usually down 40 feet to 45 feet I keep an eye on the fishfinder if I’m not marking fish I will move seldom do I get any rainbow in the fall I go to the goderich and offshore of Bayfield for steelhead and owensound for salmon in October or late September

As everyone has said,, usually mid sept. I am hoping for good weather until then as I am on L/O til Sept 29...LOL

@Extra Virgin invited me on his boat back on September 8,2019 for some Lake Erie walleye fishing,and we eventually both limited out on walleye’s,(photo),in around 65 feet of water off Port Bruce. I say eventually,(6 to 8 hour’s of fishing for 12 walleye’s that day),because we had to “work for them” the walleye’s were “scattered!!” and not like now,were you can get a 2 man walleye limit,within a couple of hour’s,like @Derkd9 and @Could get Ugly did just recently on different days with me. I know that it was a different time and month of the year in September back then when @Extra Virgin and I fished,and most walleye’s in September likely have moved out from our port’s from our Canadian side. @Dmanwithnoname was also having great success on that day on September 8,2019,but off Port Burwell,as we were texting back and forth,and trying for us all to figure out what the best lure’s were to use & what depths the walleye’s were in. @Dmanwithnoname also caught his walleye limit eventually as well. 🤓 🤣 😉👍🙂 The walleye’s are out there still in September,(at least they were back then on September 8,2019,and most of the walleye’s that we caught that day,were in deep water around 65 feet,and they seemed bigger in size!! That day I was running all of my colour’s on my 10 colour lead core rod,(walleye’s were right near the bottom),and I out fished @Extra Virgin walleye’s 8 caught by me to his 4 walleye’s caught!! 😱 @Extra Virgin was using a couple of dipsey rod’s that day,and he was also a fantastic navigator 🧑‍✈️ on his boat,🚤👍👍 and he worked hard all day,to find us our 2 man walleye limit,which we both eventually achieved. Be Safe to All & perhaps tight lines in September,2022, and weather permitting of course!! 🚤🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🐟🤞🤞👍🙂

Attachments

• 1C3FE0E1-1FB2-4312-80FB-12F22F3940C5.jpeg
    1C3FE0E1-1FB2-4312-80FB-12F22F3940C5.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 10
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks