whats the best port?

wannabewalleye

hi I need some advice on with port to lauch out of I am after walleye and rainbow but id like a port where you don't have to go to far from shore as I only have a 15' boat I am coming from London way so any advice would be greatly apericated thxs in advance

They are aways out in Erie. You do not have a big enough boat to get out to them. For Perch I use North Erie from Port Bruce. Great service and good prices.

If you are going out with that size boat, make sure...100%....definitely.....undoubtedly.....unanimously that the weather is calm with 0% chance to turn on you. Then, and only then......IMHO....give Burwell a shot.

Not worth the chance in a small boat,lake can turn up real quick:eek:,I AN OTHERS OF US HAVE ALL BEEN THERE-NOT FUN,even 23ft.+boatso_O

If the weather conditions are good, you could try Port Glasgow. You don't have to go out as far to find them . They are doing good in Wheatley and Lemington right now about 1 to 2miles out .

You might want to consider heading to Leamington, Colchester or Cedar Island given the size of your boat. Eyes can be had inside 3 miles or closer to shore. Apart from that Port Glasgow usually offers fishing closer to shore as the lake gets deeper faster in that location but you will still be a long way from shore 5-6 miles or more. As stated above with the size of your boat I would use extreme caution. Erie can be a bitch and can quickly change.

Stay away from Burwell , unless that boat doubles as a coffin! It's 10$ a pound for fish at the market , $10,000 to die in ontario right now.. Do your own math

Gee I wonder how I'm still here I've only been fishing them off Bruce and burwell since 08 I must be lucky

Been chasing walleye out there since the late 80s the 1625 was an upgrade before that was an ssv 14 and before that was a 16 prince craft be prepaired for if $hit happens. And you must be comfortable with your vessel and stay calm and watch the weather close and that means more than one channel or site I watch at least three and pick your day

Been chasing walleye out there since the late 80s the 1625 was an upgrade before that was an ssv 14 and before that was a 16 prince craft be prepaired for if $hit happens. And you must be comfortable with your vessel and stay calm and watch the weather close and that means more than one channel or site I watch at least three and pick your day

I'm going to guess you haven't reached a 40th birthday. We used to slip stream 18 wheelers in British sports cars on the 401 to save gas going to MT. Tremblanc to ski. And other things that were absolutely safe to me and absolutely insane looking back. Like going out on Erie with Erie Dearies in 12' Sears car top.

I used to fish Erie in a 14ft deep V with a 20 tiller. Never had a problem, BUT, having a place on the Lake made it easy to pick the perfect days to fish.....ONLY 5KMH or less winds when the Lake was like glass. Mind you, wouldn't do it now.

Have to pick your days for sure. I have a 16 1/2' with 50 hp ( 25 to 30mph easy) and I am not comfortable unless weather isnear perfect. Not saying your boat would not handle it but its a comfort level i guess. Having said that i have fished Glascow before with success.

There are tonnes of smaller boats out there. I go out in a 17' and a 16' and we do quite well out of Bruce. Just gotta be patient and pick your days.

Like everyone else has said you need to know your's and your boat's capabilities. Don't know how many times I drove down to the lake with my 16' 40hp tiller; just to turn around and go home.
Even on the calmest of days that I'd try for south side of the point and some rigging. I'd have my small tent, some food supplies and a change of dry cloths with me; just in case some weather blew in. If that were the case the plan was too beach the boat and sleep with the snakes at the lighthouse; my wife and friends also new that was the plan. Oh yea a fully charged cell phone inside a zip-lock bag; that way I could call the wife and tell her how big the snakes really are out there. LOL

Dan.

ok thanks everyone iv fished lake huron all my life and know the boat very well was my dads 4 20yrs now mine just havnt fished erie in many years so looking for a calm or slight wind out of the north and im good to go ps anyone getting any eyes or bows around Glasgow?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks