What's hot

Uno Mas

Just wondering what's hot for pickerel. We went out of burwell Sunday morning and downrigged for 6 hours with only 1 small bow and a 2 pound pic. Fishing at 60 fow down 40 with purple spoons and ripplin redfins. Any tips like how deep for the cannon ball, how many feet behind and what lures. Any tips would help out.

Sincerely: Uno Mas

Short leads on the riggers and try some sliders on the riggers also. Down 35 give or take depending on the temperature down there. 5-6-7 colour core working as well. Lures don't make a big difference for most part right now but if u go dark colour at start of day and end of day and bright colours during the day you should do fine.

Good luck

Herefishyfishy

Rippling Redfins in gold and fire tiger.
Greasy chicken wing and blueberry muffin spoons.
Ac shiners and husky jerks in firetiger and blue/silver
All of theese have been productive lures
I run minimum 75' behind my cannonball up to 150' But leadcore works the best !! Try trolling between 2.5 and 3.2 mph 2.8 seems to be the sweet spot for me !! Hope this helps !!
Good luck out there. Jim.

Forgot to mention to mix up your direction of trolling to see what the fish want due to current. Eg east to west or north south etc change up the speed as well and take note

Herefishyfishy

Just wondering what's hot for pickerel. We went out of burwell Sunday morning and downrigged for 6 hours with only 1 small bow and a 2 pound pic. Fishing at 60 fow down 40 with purple spoons and ripplin redfins. Any tips like how deep for the cannon ball, how many feet behind and what lures. Any tips would help out.

Sincerely: Uno Mas
Ok this will stir the pot....but it is just my opinion!
I have been out 3 times this year, in 3 different boats, and each time was a different set up.

I prefer not to use down riggers for walleye, never do very well with them. on sunday we started with 2 riggers & 2 leadcore (5&6) of the back corners......first 2 hours riggers caught 1 while each leadcore got 6 or so. we then pulled on rigger and put down a #1 dipsy 85-87 back on #3 setting, and caught fish almost rite away.

over 6 hours of fishing we caught 4 on riggers ...all with 20-25' lead and down 35-38'
dipsy caught 7 or 8 and leadcore took the rest

speed was a major factor...marked allot , but as soon as we would bump speed up we get hits

Ok this will stir the pot....but it is just my opinion!
I have been out 3 times this year, in 3 different boats, and each time was a different set up.

I prefer not to use down riggers for walleye, never do very well with them. on sunday we started with 2 riggers & 2 leadcore (5&6) of the back corners......first 2 hours riggers caught 1 while each leadcore got 6 or so. we then pulled on rigger and put down a #1 dipsy 85-87 back on #3 setting, and caught fish almost rite away.

over 6 hours of fishing we caught 4 on riggers ...all with 20-25' lead and down 35-38'
dipsy caught 7 or 8 and leadcore took the rest

speed was a major factor...marked allot , but as soon as we would bump speed up we get hits

Makes you wonder why they don't like riggers (as it seems). Someone mentioned cable vibration but wouldn't that throw off all fish?

I fished last week and took a limit of eyes off riggers. I ran 150-180' leads down 25-30 over 52-58'. Also ran sliders, so they were 12-15' down. Most of the fish I marked were in the 15-30' depths. I took 3 of the 6 eyes on sliders.....so, the theory that riggers aren't getting fish because they are so shallow that the boat spooks them to the sides doesn't really hold water...fish on sliders are literally behind the boat. Slider fish were off spoons, body baits on the main rigger lines. I'm thinking that the riggers aren't working as well for people is because they're fishing too deep. I'd try longer leads....75-150', but shallow...15-25'

I normally run longer leads off the riggers but Sunday shorter was better for me. Like 25' back. Sliders worked as well. In a good walleye chop I don't think it matters that much I think it's more about getting the presentation in their strike zone. M
Just my 02 cents

Herefishyfishy

Short leader about 4' long with a swivel at both ends. One end is lure other end attaches to fishing line that goes down to cannon ball. Theoretically it will slide down half the distance to the ball

Herefishyfishy

Start shallower! There's a pile of eyes in alot tighter than most guys are even aware I think. Like 35' ;)

Josh

Been out to Burwell a few times last week, one day with just riggers down around 35 had bad results. Two days later, took the planer mast and boards, We hit 13 on boards and 2 on riggers. Next time I'll leave the riggers in the garage and get lines out to the side. Silver and blue was their color of choice. Baits down around 20 feet

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks