What outrigger release clips are the best for downrigger troling?

borg

Hi Guys,

Newbie here at trolling with downriggers.
Just got my first downrigger.
I have one clip (plastic black with yellow tip).
What are the best release clips?
I see that there are plastic red ones, black yellow, so many options.
What will be good for 60 to 120 FOW for spoons to use as a clip release?
I see that there are some with power strength or medium.

Any advice on what to buy will be greatly appreciated.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME!
Tight lines in the new season.

There are a variety that will work well. The key is to get ones that will release for the fish your after. For walleye you want something that holds the very light and releases easily. If not you will tow the small fish around without realizing they are on. If your running a dodger and fly for salmon, you need something that will hold tight as speed changes on a big setup will make them pop. I have some scotty's that work for me. There are adjustable tension models out there as well.

Hi Guys,

Newbie here at trolling with downriggers.
Just got my first downrigger.
I have one clip (plastic black with yellow tip).
What are the best release clips?
I see that there are plastic red ones, black yellow, so many options.
What will be good for 60 to 120 FOW for spoons to use as a clip release?
I see that there are some with power strength or medium.

Any advice on what to buy will be greatly appreciated.
THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR TIME!
Tight lines in the new season.
Offshore OR4 light release for Walleye and I also use it for northern Lake Trout (white colour)

Offshore OR1 medium release for salmon (black colour)

I noticed Angling Outfitters had a display of them the last time I was there.

At least I'm pretty sure I saw them on the end of an isle.

Used Scotty’s the first year and dragged around a lot of small pics. Switched to chamberlains the next year and absolutely love these. Occasionally set them up in the driveway as you would on the lake take a fish scale and pull on the line where your lure would be to set the release to about 2 lbs. if you are not releasing on a fish reduce a 1/4 turn. I mark the release knob and a line on the release so I can make incremental adjustments.

Fish on. Rick

And yeah angling now carries the releases as well as the slider chamberlains

Sidenote, the slider chamberlains seem flaky. I have 2 and both broke. The locking mechanism didn't hold up. Maybe I just had lemons.

Used Scotty’s the first year and dragged around a lot of small pics. Switched to chamberlains the next year and absolutely love these. Occasionally set them up in the driveway as you would on the lake take a fish scale and pull on the line where your lure would be to set the release to about 2 lbs. if you are not releasing on a fish reduce a 1/4 turn. I mark the release knob and a line on the release so I can make incremental adjustments.

Fish on. Rick

Problem is, once you add lake conditions, water, speed etc to the equation, things change.

What I do is set them light enough that a lure triggers the release. Then tighten incrementally until the lure drag doesn't trigger the release. This varies based on the lure you're dragging. Huge difference between spoon and jerkbait.

I've had small perch trigger them with this setup before!

In years past I used many different releases including Scotties and Offshore etc. but all were useless when it came to small fish triggering them. I've used Black's for a number of years now and once set properly find no issues dragging fish. The very odd time I have dragged a midget fish say 5-6 inches in length but that's about it. If and when I do need a new release for replacement I probably will try the Chamberlain's to see what all the rave is about but for now I'm happy with the Black's. ☺

Put me down for Chamberlains... started using them 2 years ago and they are great. totally adjustable both on release and on holding. I have had perch pull them off rather than dragging it for for a while. Expensive, but worth it IMO.

Chamberlains are the only release i will use after buying some last year. As someone else mentioned, set the tension a bit more than it takes for the lure to make it release. This way any weeds or small fish fouling the hooks pops the release.

Nothing comes close to Chamberlain releases. Worth the $

Look at getting yourself a set of chamberlin releases they are worth the money
@JohnW I just checked out the you tube on the chamberlain releases and I was very impressed!! Thanks for suggesting to have a look at these,and I will be switching up my downrigger realizes to those,and walleye’s,coho’s,rainbows,etc.ON!! and a thumb Up!! ?????:)

Attachments

• 00EA2C48-23F2-476E-8F1F-890DE3AE719D.jpeg
    00EA2C48-23F2-476E-8F1F-890DE3AE719D.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18
Last edited:
just picked up 2 chamberlain releases and two stackers and looking forward to running them this spring. Any feedback on spread between stackers and main line to minimize tangles?......have never run stackers before and seem like reasonable idea....if fish hits on bottom lure are you bringing up the stacker fast as you can??? any insight into how to manage these properly together would be great

just picked up 2 chamberlain releases and two stackers and looking forward to running them this spring. Any feedback on spread between stackers and main line to minimize tangles?......have never run stackers before and seem like reasonable idea....if fish hits on bottom lure are you bringing up the stacker fast as you can??? any insight into how to manage these properly together would be great

My stacked lines usually run ~5ft behind the cable and I run a suspending bait. That way if you stop, lower chance of getting tangled. I've run all sorts of different spacing, just make sure your lead (in this case, 5ft) is shorter than your spacing. Make sense?

If fishing walleye I don't touch the other lines. Any species that can run, move or clear lines.

Also, I've fallen back in love with big mono. Because it's thicker than braid or fluoro, and light enough, it acts like a "sail" and you get a better bow in the line to add cheaters. It eventually dawned on my that this "sail" effect happens when you're taking sharp turns too, which keeps your lines from tangling.

PS: my stackers broke right away (the locking mechanism, that is). Hope you have more luck with yours.

Back