What is it with MY dipsy's ?

mrozborn

I usually always use dipsy's one on each side of my boat. I set them to a "three". Sometimes one goes the proper way and the other doesn't, it goes straight back or worse. Is this due to wind, direction of travel, current?? Anybody have the same issue?
thanks

I think it's due to current myself and have really noticed it when running 4 to 6 (rather 1 and 3 or 0, 1.5 and 3 setting) dipsys as they all seem to run off track. Running shallow divers will also make the dipsys track different then ones pulling spoons as well but not by alot from my experience.

Are you using bow mount trolling motor as auto pilot? Or steering yourself?

Happened to me when I used diving baits behind the dipsys. RRF's, spoons, harnesses all work properly. On the 3 setting the angle of the dipsy gets thrown off by the diving bait, might even cause it to spin, or simply not dive. Straight down probably won't matter, but I never use them straight down, that's what riggers are for.

Three questions.

Are the weights moving from where you set them?

Are you letting them out under control? (with drag)

What are you pulling behind them? (Diving baits won't work.)

Three questions.

Are the weights moving from where you set them?

Are you letting them out under control? (with drag)

What are you pulling behind them? (Diving baits won't work.)
I guess I should have put more details down. The weights stay put and I'm using drag. I troll the main motor at 2 to 3 mph. I use mostly spoons and worm harnesses. It doesn't happen all the time, but I've sure put up with it for years :(

So I should do what??
You need to do nothing, just be mindful about that. As long as your dipsies are set both to the same settings 3 (left and right respectively) and they both appear to be a little off with respect to the centerline of the boat, they tell you that they are getting shifted by the current. And so would be the chute rod. Actually today I have seen just that going south-west in 66 fow out of Port Glasgow - both dipsies were shifted to the right of the boat, so turns had to be made very carefully...

You need to do nothing, just be mindful about that. As long as your dipsies are set both to the same settings 3 (left and right respectively) and they both appear to be a little off with respect to the centerline of the boat, they tell you that they are getting shifted by the current. And so would be the chute rod. Actually today I have seen just that going south-west in 66 fow out of Port Glasgow - both dipsies were shifted to the right of the boat, so turns had to be made very carefully...
That makes sense, but the problem I'm having is one dipsy is tracking perfectly and the other is off, even though it's set the same as the other one but opposite direction.

Does this happen only when sideways or at a shallow angle to the wind/wave direction? I also wonder about the size and weight of the boat. If it is relatively light, the boat will side-slip in the downwind direction significantly though, without nearby landmarks you may not notice the extent to which it's occurring. The upwind dipsy will track as expected (or be further away from the boat than usual) while the downwind dipsy will be much closer than expected to the side of the boat, behind it, or even cheating to the wrong side. In my limited experience thus far in my wee tinny, I often find that I have to troll into or out of the wind if it's blowing close to 8 knots or so in order to get a balanced spread. If I don't, I find the upwind dipsy gets a lot more hits especially when the fish are shallow.

That makes sense, but the problem I'm having is one dipsy is tracking perfectly and the other is off, even though it's set the same as the other one but opposite direction.
Hmmmm... I would check the 2nd tension screw (in the center of the dipsy). If this is not tight, the dipsy will get "out of sync" as the weight part will move. Happened to me once...

Trolling motor auto pilot keeps heading but it sort of “dog walks” if there is a current
So if you are somewhat “dog walking” the dipsys will look like they might be going the wrong way
But they are still spread
I always run 4 and sometimes I notice them kin of appear to track funny

But fish still hitting them

Last edited:
Currents are probly your culprit . I see this most days out .
If you`re running slider dipsys would be way worse for they don`t track good at all on #3 settings .

Back