Off Topic what fish finder are you using? any recommendation in 500-1000 range?

Jsyangyu

current I have Garmin striker 5cv, I got for around $300-400. hard to say I like it or not. it report depth and speed, guide me back to ramp. but it missing few things, one is no contour for lakes. and when I trolling over 100' which is most of the case, it rare show fishes.

my friend said his FF can scan and see the fishes, so he can feel how many fishes are around, I did not ask what model is his FF.

Last edited:
This Garmin 7 inch touch screen Ecomap UHD 75SV with GT54UHD-TM transducer will do everything you could possibly want. Has preloaded GARMIN LAKEVU G3 CANADA mapping with integrated Navionics data covering 13,500 lakes, down scan, side scan as well as Chirp sonar. Also comes with built-in Garmin Quickdraw Contours mapping software. It's $450 off right now so a lot of fish finder for $750.

current I have Garmin striker 5cv, I got for around $300-400. hard to say I like it or not. it report depth and speed, guide me back to ramp. but it missing few things, one is no contour for lakes. and when I trolling over 100' which is most of the case, it rare show fishes.

my friend said his FF can scan and see the fishes, so he can feel how many fishes are around, I did not ask what model is his FF.
Unless you are a freak of nature like the guy from Angler's Outfitter's who updated mine at blazing speed I believe not many people understand how to really understand how to operate them . he would be my go to guy for info on capabilities and price range

This Garmin 7 inch touch screen Ecomap UHD 75SV with GT54UHD-TM transducer will do everything you could possibly want. Has preloaded GARMIN LAKEVU G3 CANADA mapping with integrated Navionics data covering 13,500 lakes, down scan, side scan as well as Chirp sonar. Also comes with built-in Garmin Quickdraw Contours mapping software. It's $450 off right now so a lot of fish finder for $750.

you mean $850, right?

Generally get what you pay for. Sometimes you buy more than you need. Sadly I can think back 50-60 years. Trolling steel line between the red roof and the fire tower at Oro Station for lakers in lake Simcoe.
fishing vs catching I guess

Here's a Helix 7 with Mega Down Image and CHIRP. It doesn't have side imaging but if it's not something you'd need, this unit would be great (I think the side imaging one is $250 or so more). Anyways, this one includes the Navionics+ North America map. And it's a networkable model so if you ever decide to get fancy and have two units, you can connect the two.

Also, make sure you set any fish finder up properly (or have someone help who knows how). The biggest thing is getting the transducer in the right place and level to the water.

I have this unit 7" with the splitshot transducer. In hindsight I wish I bought a different unit. This unit is slow, no touchscreen, have to remove my polarized sunglasses to see what is on the screen (This is probably the biggest downfall of them all).

I have had Lowrance and Humminbird and without going into detail Humminbird is head and shoulders above Lowrance on quality and service. I hear the Garmin units are also good but I have no experience on those. I deal with Extreme Marine just outside London. Rob and his team are awesome and they will do their best to get you a good fit for your needs and budget.

It's really good deal, how long you think the sale will last? I want to wait few weeks if I can optimize current one.
Not sure how long they will run it for but just so you know GPS Central is part of Radio World out Calgary. Radio World in Toronto is selling for the same $850 but neither one says for how long.

Did you turn the 'Draw Contour' feature on? You have to turn it on each & every time you want to draw contours.

Main Screen
>Select Traditional & Clear Vu
>Enter ie the Check Mark Key
>Menu, ie the key with 3 lines on it
>Select Quick Draw Map
>Enter
>Quick Draw
>Enter
>Start Recording . NOTE GPS need to be locked on before you get the "Start Recording" button on screen

840BPrRl.jpg

The green area is 12-14 ft on the lake I go to up north

I have the Hummingbird Helix 7 with down image, gimmick if you ask me, I have it turned off . I use about 4 screen shots which you can turn on and get rid of most you don’t need. I find the bird is very user friendly plus I got the Nav. Plus card which is not very accurate, may want to try Lakemaster cards, could be better?

I have the Hummingbird Helix 7 with down image, gimmick if you ask me, I have it turned off . I use about 4 screen shots which you can turn on and get rid of most you don’t need. I find the bird is very user friendly plus I got the Nav. Plus card which is not very accurate, may want to try Lakemaster cards, could be better?
Before I bought the Helix 5 I started asking people with down / side imaging if they had it to do again would they still pay the extra and deal with the large transducer and almost every answer I got was no so I opted for the good old fashion 2d version with no regrets. Except with my old eyes I wish it was a Helix 7 and will be one day when the right deal comes along.

Did you turn the 'Draw Contour' feature on? You have to turn it on each & every time you want to draw contours.

Main Screen
>Select Traditional & Clear Vu
>Enter ie the Check Mark Key
>Menu, ie the key with 3 lines on it
>Select Quick Draw Map
>Enter
>Quick Draw
>Enter
>Start Recording . NOTE GPS need to be locked on before you get the "Start Recording" button on screen

840BPrRl.jpg

The green area is 12-14 ft on the lake I go to up north
Actually never tried, will give a shot next out

I have a Helix 7 DI with Nav card. If I can do it again, I would go with a larger screen instead of the DI which I never use for the great lakes. I seen many screen shots from people posting which shows long hooks on the screen. I have been playing around with it from tip I got online. Still can't see the long hooks like I do with Lowrance model fish finders. It is very user friendly though. Did not fish Erie the first year with the new finder or boat. Did not mark much on Lake Ontario, so I thought someone was wrong with it, Until I took it to Burwell and seen the screen light up with fish and bait. If the finder every quits, I think I will buy a Lowrance HDS.

Here is what my last Hummingbird showed when I was on Oxtongue Lake.

hummingbird.PNG

This is what my current Simrad shows me on Erie.

smrd1.jpg

I tried to find a pic of a late friend's Lowrance, but I can't locate it on my HDD.

I think the frequency setting of the transducer can have an affect on how fish are displayed as well.

Some machines just aren't powerful enough for deeper water, my very first Hummingbird went nutz when it lost bottom in Lake of Bays. LOL

I purchased a Simrad GO9 XSE and installed it yesterday. Can't wait to try it out.

Back