What am I doing wrong

Uno Mas

Today we went out of burwell and headed straight out to abou 50 fow and trolled out to 58 with 2 hits on the dipsies but both let go before we could get to the rods. We then continued to troll for 4 hours with different depths on each rod. Hoping to find where the fish were... We got 1 pic in total on a purple spoon 80ft back. We were going between 2 and 3 mph , what are we doing wrong.

Uno Mas

Keep fishing try flat lines with 2 twist on weights, down riggers work well. Lead core 8 colour is good
Dipsy don't work for me.

Hi Uno I would say should have started deeper.Speed up to 2.8 to 3.You mention dipsyies what else were you using lead core? Riggers?Also try greasy chicken and green monkey puke spoons also.With these smaller fish if running riggers check your lines every 20 minutes.

I do well on dipsies
# 3 setting and 140 to 150 feet out
I set my drag real loose, just enough where the reel clicks every 30 secs or so. Just want the drag loose enough to where if you get something small and it doesn't trip the dipsy it will pull line off the reel.
Other than that not much too it. Keep the rod up and lines tight !

I use lead-core and set my drag really light almost so it pulls out just trolling and i leave my clicker on the audible helps.

Today we went out of burwell and headed straight out to abou 50 fow and trolled out to 58 with 2 hits on the dipsies but both let go before we could get to the rods. We then continued to troll for 4 hours with different depths on each rod. Hoping to find where the fish were... We got 1 pic in total on a purple spoon 80ft back. We were going between 2 and 3 mph , what are we doing wrong.

Uno Mas
sounds like dipsy were too shallow.....I set mine 140 & 155 back on # 3 setting Tuesday evening

Uno Mas....it is very important to keep a keen on the dypsy's as the rod won't move too much...and if you miss the movement you'll be dragging around a fish and probably won't get anything to hit that side of the boat.......also like Puddle Jumper said go deeper......the big ones are on the bottom...try 60-63 ft...I catch all my fish on a gold& black Riplin Redfin....Good Luck

Our last 2 times out dipsys have been firing non stop, today's best rod was a dipsy at 100' with a blueberry muffin spoon. You might have been fishing too shallow as we started at 60' first fish on before second line was all the way out, as soon as it was out we had a dbl on. Trolled with the waves and fish slowed down when we got to 56-55' so we cruzed back out and into the fish again. Over our last 4 outings dipsys at 100 to 115' and 7-8-10 colour have produced limits, piston cup, blue/silver, purple redfins and huskies, blueberry muffin spoons.

was out sunday. ran 2 riggers at 50 and 53' with greasy chicken/chartreuse back and purple/black spoon.
Also ran two #1 dipseys @ 3 setting at 143 and 148' back running orange/black copper back spoon and gold black ripplin redfin.
Dipseys caught 9 of 15 fish.
purple/silver/black streak dipsey on one side and copper on other.

trolled 52-60 feet with most caught in 56-60' at 2.8 to 3.1 mph at GPS

hope that helps

I also keep eye on the line for the dipsy
if you miss the hit and it did not relase
The line can track inward paying close attention to that also helps not drowing the small ones

The other thing i do change up the spoon / bait every 15-20 minutes this way you check if you are dragging small fish also
Testing what bait coloure works best
Don't try to force feed them !

Do a little research or ask around and book a charter or look for a walk on opportunity. The right captain will teach you more in a few hours than you will learn on your own in a few seasons. Money well spent imo. Just pick your charter carefully.

Best is to use your electronics. See where the fish are (what depth) then usr your charts to figure out how far back to run your dipsy to be 2 feet above fish zone. Time of day will change where in the water column they r. I set up in 55 to 57 fow and troll out to 63 and turn around. I run my dipsy from 92 feet up 136 back depending on the setting. I troll at 2.6 to 3.1 mph. I use my fish hawk to tell me speed and temp and depth at cannon ball. Usually by 5 pm i am in 60 fow with rods set 45 to 55 feet down. I micx up all colours and styles to zone in. When 1 lure starts out producing the others I switch them up all the same. After that its game on and and match. Used this program all sean and am doing great. So if it aint broke dont fix it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks