Fishing Report Well THAT sucks

Trevor M

Depending on how I feel (which isn't all that great right now, but better than I was this morning. I can move a little easier than I was this morning:) ) and what the boss lady says, with the winds not being what they initially said they were going to be, and dying down, there could be a small window between 2pm-8pm, so I might go down to the pier and try my luck later today. I have rain gear,
As some of you may have read, that's what I said earlier this afternoon. Well, after getting stuff done around here, and having a brief conversation with my wife on FB, and her 1) laughin at me for even considering it, and 2) telling me if I wanted to I could go, (didn't have to tell me twice although I had to really think about it this time) I went.

Got to the pier, water was a little rough but not anymore than it was on Wednesday morning when I arrived, looked like a double double for sure, but it was fishable and there was blue water within sight, so I got my line in the water at 3:30. Wasn't expecting anything other than sheephead and maybe a catfish, but I just wanted to get out for a while.

Within 5 minutes I hooked into the first sheephead. Over the next 45 minutes I caught 5 more........ then it happened.......just after I re-baited my hooks and put my line back in after catching that 6th, I washed my hands, then started sneezing......and I never sneeze just once..🤬...on the third one.......bang.....big hit......my rod gets yanked off my chair, my bait pail that only had water in it today (I was using salties) gets knocked over and before I can grab it......there goes my favorite rod that I've had for 25+ years.......and the one I always use................... into the lake........:cry:. Of course......the ONLY day I didn't take a backup with me is the day that happens. So to whoever catches my rod, treat it well, it caught a lot of fish for me over those 25+ years.😊

BUT, there's always a silver lining right...Payday is Monday....I'd been thinking about buying a new one for a while anyways, now I have a good reason to do it. I'll miss that rod tho (until I start catching fish with the new one once I get it. ;))

saw that happen before down there Trevor----gone in less time then it takes to think about it. people tried to hook into it for the person but no such luck. next time you're there throw a wreath in to mark the spot

saw that happen before down there Trevor----gone in less time then it takes to think about it. people tried to hook into it for the person but no such luck. next time you're there throw a wreath in to mark the spot
I've seen it happen a few times Gord. The one time a nice lady beside me had it happen to her, she grabbed her backup rod and kept on fishing only to catch her rod about 15 minutes later, and it still had the sheephead hooked that stole it and took into the lake . She got rid of the sheephead, put her backup rod away and caught a walleye 20 minutes later with the one that had gone for a swim.

I was the only one fool enough to be out there fishin today and didn't take a back up rod with me like I normally do. There were a few people walkin the beach, and a young couple that just got engaged taking pictures in the water and on the beach, but it was pretty quiet down there today.

Maybe you’ll snag it next time you’re fishing there
Maybe, or maybe someone I know might when I'm there. But, I don't see me going again until at least Tuesday and by then between the high winds tomorrow and the possibility that fish drags it a ways, I'm not expecting to see it again. But ya never know. There is a person who said he'll try to get it with a magnet/hook and let me know. Right now tho, I'm going to go watch the hockey game to see who beats Montreal in the Final. ;)

I feel you! Wednesday morning off of Bronte creek we had a dipsy rod with diver and spin doctor pulled right out of the rocket launcher rod holder and dive to the depths on lake O. Thanks Salmon (presumably?)

What kind of rod was it? RIP?
Storm Thunderstick 6ft 6" rod. Used it all the time once I got it. It served me well across this country catching all kinds of fish. Some BIG lakers, walleye, arctic grayling and pike in the NWT, Walleye, perch, pike and rainbows in Alberta. And the usual suspects here. Bass, sheephead, yellow perch, white perch, carp, pike, walleye, catfish etc. Bought it in Yellowknife in 1996. Put a shimano IX4000 reel on it 7 years ago, liked that reel so much I put it on my other two rods as well but I rarely use the oldest rod I have. Only when my wife comes with me does it ever get used anymore. It's a Berkley Power Pole that I've had for 35 years. The other rod I own I've had for about 5 years but never used it until last week on Thursday when I got skunked. Put it together for the first time since I bought it other than to put line on the reel just to say I've used it.:LOL: That's the one I normally take with me as a backup in case something like this happened, or my dad showed up wanting to put a line in.

Thats tough Trevor. Too bad you lost that heirloom. After owning and fishing with it for a quarter century we are all hoping somehow you get it back👍
It happens. Had a few stolen years ago, but this is the first time I've lost a rod to a fish, and I didn't really lose it, I know where it is.....it's in the lake following some fish around.;)

I hear you also,,,a few years back took my duck shootin, fishin, baseball playin, hockey playin partner of 20 + yrs,,who recently had a stroke ,,,out fishin for an afternoon... He hooked into a Sheepy & so I was helped him with it....Set my rod down & was removing the hook,,when off goes my rod,,got excited & in the process managed to lodge the hook in my hand ..Anyhow we were fishing just off Bait Island so it was easy to know where the rod was,,so I anchored parallel to where the rod went in & fished for it , dragged something large in a bunch of times & managed to get it back,,it was also a favorite rod of many years,,ultralight custom super short perch killin set up...All in all a great memory of a day on the water with my partner in crime of many years...

UPDATE

It's been replaced. My dad had a fishin rod he wasn't using so told me to come see him. Berkley Power Pole (sister to the one I already have, bought the same year, but not used nearly as much.) I put a Mitchell 300c reel on it. We'll see how it compares to the thunderstick the lake took as compensation for me fishin in the rain by myself without a back up rod with me.

Bummer man. 30 years ago I was fishing the rocks at port credit for salmon with a guy named Joe that i fished with from time to time. He was my age at the time so of course he thought he was superman also. A king took his rod right out of the holder and that lunatic threw himself straight into the lake after it. He managed to somehow grab the handle. Only thing that would’ve made it a better story was if he landed the fish, but he didn’t. New gear is always nice to have. At least you’ve got a good reason!

Bummer man. 30 years ago I was fishing the rocks at port credit for salmon with a guy named Joe that i fished with from time to time. He was my age at the time so of course he thought he was superman also. A king took his rod right out of the holder and that lunatic threw himself straight into the lake after it. He managed to somehow grab the handle. Only thing that would’ve made it a better story was if he landed the fish, but he didn’t. New gear is always nice to have. At least you’ve got a good reason!
30 years ago I was living in Yellowknife. (lived there from '86-03) and walking out the back door, 10 minutes later I was catching pike almost at will in a little lake called Kam Lake. If I hadn't been there to see the guy do it, I wouldn't believe it, but while I was using a 5 of diamonds, the guy who was already there was using a large safety pin that he bent into a hook, put a small spinner blade on and he was catching more than I was. 😲:mad::ROFLMAO:

If I was going out for lakers, I was going out with either my dad and the guys he worked with before he sold the boat, or one of my friends and his dad in their boat and we'd be going to either Prelude Lake, Walsh Lake, Prosperous Lake, Reid Lake, or out on the big lake (Great Slave)

Getting new gear (or new to me gear) is something I'd been thinking about for a while anyways. Wasn't expecting it to be for this reason tho. ;)The reel is brand new, the pole while new to me isn't new, but it's rarely been used. Like everyone, my dad has his favorite that he uses when he goes fishin, but he doesn't go much anymore, hasn't for years, and since he doesn't, he told me I could come over and pick one of his rods to replace the one the lake took. (he's more likely to come visit me on the pier and IF I'm having a good day and the bite is steady he might tell me to put together the second rod I normally take with me as a back up or in case he shows up and wants to put a line in.)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks