Weekend

Bent Pole

From what I'm seeing in reports so far the winds are going to rule on the water this weekend in the eastern basin.:( I'll be searching the Horty Report.(y)

yea bummer!!! the lake is roaring offshore central basin...stanleys buoy reads 14 knots WSW right now ...and forecasted to blow all weekend...my fishin season is done...put my 1 boat away yesterday...as i go in for knee surgery tuesday am...lucky fish and unlucky me as i will be on crutches for a few weeks tryin to recover...

I'm bummed about the winds to, hopefully they are wrong. I installed a outboard autopilot today that runs off the hds7 touch, really itching to try it out.

yup winds were up here to,starting to die-8pm-could have fished the day :(-just need a boat:(:shifty:-will have a look in the am:rolleyes:

A typical August on Erie. Wind, wind and more wind followed by increasing winds. The lake has calmed down here, only 1 meter waves. Today she was sending algae over top of my next door neighbours 15 foot high break wall. It isn't getting better in the foreseeable future. Windfinder.com predicts high wind until the end of next week. Don't mess with her, park the boat for a few days. There is a mudline today 300 yards out.

http://weather.gc.ca/marine/forecast_e.html?mapID=11&siteID=07503

high winds can be very typical during the full moon phase....

yea bummer!!! the lake is roaring offshore central basin...stanleys buoy reads 14 knots WSW right now ...and forecasted to blow all weekend...my fishin season is done...put my 1 boat away yesterday...as i go in for knee surgery tuesday am...lucky fish and unlucky me as i will be on crutches for a few weeks tryin to recover...

You will be on your feet before you know it and on the water shortly thereafter. A few weeks on crutches? That's too long even if they do a full knee replacement. Get on your feet asap @mick. I lost count after 10 knee surgeries. My last replacement was 24 hrs in bed, walker for a few days crutches for a few days then a cane for a few weeks. I was fishing a month later sitting in the boat being waited on hand and foot by the crew. I milked that for a while. In the old days (70's and early 80's) it was hospital stay for a week and a cast for 8 weeks just for a MCL repair, now it's in and out the same day with a small bandage. Get on your feet asap as I said. And do your exercises and you will be back on the water before you know it.

Hey @WhatsthePoint thanks alot for the positive words!!! Yes thats what I am getting is a full knee replacement...I have a good surgeon lined up for my surgery tuesday am at Strathroy General .I have a walker, crutches and a cane and a determined mindset to get on my feet to speed up my recovery...I will be doin my exercises daily and adding ice and painkillers...A Physiotherapist will be coming to my house to renew my exercises....Your time line for recovery sounds extremely encouraging.....last May/14 I had to have an emergency lumbar spinal fusion with plates and screws at sunnybrook hospital in toronto as my back collapsed and I ended up in a wheelchair for over 40 days..omg it was brutual...Anyway I made an excellent recovery after a years time..and very thankful I have my life back...so hopefully now I can get this knee surgery recovery done successfully and ASAP...lol ....Wow you have had alot of knee surgeries there...now I know who to ask on a patients point of view...thanks for that!!!

Mick, I have been lucky enough to never have had to have back surgery like you have. Brutal. I only have a few herniated L discs and they gave me problems but nowhere bad enough to have surgery. It must be brutal for you and I know stomp has a wonky back too. I can't imagine what a real bad back is like. Move your leg, the back hurts, move your head the back hurts. I hope after this one it is all behind you. Going in with a good attitude is as important as having a good Doc. The most important thing I found when doing what I call your homework (therapy) is to get full range of motion asap. The longer to get there the more scar tissue that builds up. I didn't do what I was supposed to do and they had to put me under and the ortho guy crunches all the scar tissue by bending the knee to full motion. I think it is something like 130 degrees. That was no fun. Easy on the issue (pain killers), that stuff is easy to get addicted to, too easy.

Listen to your caregivers and do your homework. You will be on the boat in no time. Good luck and even though I'm not a religious guy a prayer or 2 doesn't hurt.

I had total knee replacement in April. Back fishing in May. Best advice I can give is to do your Physical Theraphy twice as much as they recommend. It will be somewhat painful, but well worth it if you want to gain faster after surgery. Once you're incision heals (2weeks) you can put a lot of pressure on that new knee. Good luck, it sounds worse than it really is. Most all my pain is gone.

Yes great advise from all. I had major hip surgery 2008 and have never recovered from that botched surgery but got up and kept in motion. Last year another hip and major spinal surgery 3 months after my hip. I can't fish like I used to but hopefully there will be that day when I can. Reading the reports from this site is like fishing anyways for me. My advice is get up and move, move move as soon as possible. Be diligent at therapy and DO your home therapy exercises that they assign you. Still don't overdue it, you will pay for it in time down the road if you do. People can give you all the words and advice you want, but just listen to your body, it will tell and let you do what is good for it and you. You will fish when the body lets you. GOOD LUCK.

Hey thanks alot everyone for the kind and encouraging words and sharing some of your experiences with surgery recovery!!....Just to let ya know @WhatsthePoint I fractured my L4 joint in my lumbar spine in 2006 removing a large tree in my backyard...Like I mentioned the back finally collasped crushing nerves and putting me down in a wheelchair...that was the brutual part..I had to have a spinal fusion with the plates and screws performed by 2 neurosurgeons at sunnybrook hospital...Its just amazing the healthcare they provide at sunnybrook..the secretary told me I won the neurosurgery lottery when I got the scheduled date for my surgery...anyway I got my life back and now have full range of motion with no limitations now and very limited pain in my spine. It took me 13 months to make a full recovery..it was not an easy recovery and I missed out on last years fishing season..But then I started to feel better so I started livin it up right away..with a manatoulin deer hunt in Nov, then drove out to NFLD and harvested a bull moose in Dec.... then down to the Carribbean catchin fish for 3 weeks in Jan...then a quebec spring bear hunt...then spring/summer fishin here on the great lakes...and now to the operating table for a new knee..I fully understand to do your exercises and get on your feet and start and keep moving...your body dictates what you can and cannot do...I live alone and I am very independant..I always seem to find a way to get it done...a survivor...I have some words of my own to share for you younger guys...If you have a bucket list...do it while you can!!! Life is so precious and having good health and mobility is far more important then just a hefty bank account...

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks