Weather/Wind apps

EJF

Hey everyone, I bought a boat recently and am fairly new to lake Erie fishing. I've been fishing in the inner bay many of times before but am looking to get out there for the pickerel. I have heard horror stories about how quickly the lake can swell up. Being new to boating and fishing on lake Erie I was curious as to which apps everybody uses to stay safe out there.
I did a search and didn't come up with any posts similar to this, I apologize in advance if this is a commonly asked question or if I posted in the wrong spot.
Any and All help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Eric

I go here before I go out: https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/lake_erie_long_point - they are usually right and when they are wrong it is calmer than they said.

What size is your boat? It rarely goes from ok to WTF and you are surprised (unless you weren't paying attention) but you will get wet going back... and its slow. But WTF is different depending on the size of your boat and the tolerance your back has for the ride.

Welcome Eric. We have to be smart out here and pick the days. I use Windfinder.com and Sailflow. Also a VHF radio is a great investment to listen to all the Marine weather reports as well as reports of marine hazards like boats just under the surface for an example. I am fortunate to live on the lakeshore so I can get a birds eye view. When I see white water at dawn I go golfing. Look for Horty's birdseye weather reports now coming from his new digs at Port Bruce. If I am up early enough and remember I will make the odd report for the Nanticoke area. I'll make a afternoon report for guys coming out after work, again when I remember to. @HORTY is a full time reporter up for a Pulitzer, I'm a sometimes kinda guy.

Thanks for the replies!
My boat isn't very big but i feel like i can manage out there on calm days. It's a 17ft tracker targa with a 115hp mercury.

Environment Canada marine forecast is pretty good too. Gives you wave height at pt Stanley weather buoy, which is about 14 nm south of Port. Gives a good idea what the lake is like "off shore" on Erie

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks