Water in boat

skinny

ok been out twice this year and seem to get water in boat
Als seem like carpet right by shifter gets wet and u can see carpet wet along edge of floor to back

I launched at pt Rowan and headed to pottahawk
I ran my bildge there and didn't notice water
Then back to launch
Siding look in engine bay this morn
Tongue up on trailer pulled plug I guessing it was 5 gal or so
Bildge is not auto

Boat is 16.5 glass inboard
Do not see any cracks

Sorry to hear you have a leak as no leak is fun. It could be a number of things. If you have an I/O could be the seal to your transom or leaks around anything bolted through the transom. Could be a leak at the transom mounts for you live well or along any of the lines, that is if you do have live wells. Is your plug sealing properly? Hope that helps in some way because other than a crack there's not to many other places I can think of where a fiberglass boat could leak.

ok its an older glass boat
no wells in it
the transom is all new last year and could be something there I guess but the wet area up by shift is puzzling
I will have to float it and pull covers and look see if I can see leak
the boat sits covered in drive bow up plug out but thats not to say it might not hold some in it i guess
looking for ideas

We looked for leaks on a buddies 24' Grew (fibreglass) last year and found the boot leaking, then leak at a transducer, as well as a leak where the swim platform was mounted. Rubber dries out and Marine Silicone doesn't last forever.

I would be getting an auto bilge in there, and a screw type plug as well. Pull the plug on the ramp if there isn't a line up.

If equipped, Re caulk the top and bottom of the trim around the boat
The trim is there to hides where the 2 pieces of the boat meet
Good luck!

Look in the doghouse while running
Could be a gasket leak on the motor
I just fixed one of those and I think a have another,
Also think I need to put some Teflon tape around the brass plug I have in my boat.

ok been out twice this year and seem to get water in boat
Als seem like carpet right by shifter gets wet and u can see carpet wet along edge of floor to back

I launched at pt Rowan and headed to pottahawk
I ran my bildge there and didn't notice water
Then back to launch
Siding look in engine bay this morn
Tongue up on trailer pulled plug I guessing it was 5 gal or so
Bildge is not auto

Boat is 16.5 glass inboard
Do not see any cracks
A freind of mine almost sunk his boat one year. It ended up being a cracked plastic plug on the cooling system from the engine Only leaks when he would give full power ? Just a thought

I had a leak as well. To find out where I put the boat in driveway and put water in it.let it sit with tongue high in the air to see if any drips show up. If nothing then crank the tongue as low as it will go when the drips show up on the driveway you know where the leak is.

Hey skinny, You and some of the others are gonna think I am nuts but here goes. You need to pull the side panel off that your shifter is on and check the speedometer hose. Most speedometers in older boats run on water pressure. You may have a cracked or broken hose that goes up the side of the boat to your dash. The faster you go the more water you are going to "pump" into your boat. This is the only reason I can see why you are getting water at your shifter. Have a look. Try following the hose back from the speedo to find where it is routed.

I had a leak as well. To find out where I put the boat in driveway and put water in it.let it sit with tongue high in the air to see if any drips show up. If nothing then crank the tongue as low as it will go when the drips show up on the driveway you know where the leak is.

:jawdrop: That's not a wise idea for finding a leak. Boats were not designed for the enormous stress of sitting on land with several thousand pounds of water in them nor was the trailer.:eek: There are more safe ways of finding it without the risk of damaging the boat and trailer.

Wholly poo speedo hose really
It worked last year and doesn't now really make sense
Going to check
Any ideas on the size and such
Maybe just replace all of it

Going to check

The speedo hose is cheap @skinny so I would just tape it to the old hose and pull through to the gauge.

Well, I am glad it's not the transom I helped to replace last year.

Going to check
I might be wrong but I think you can get it for around .75cents a foot.

You mention that the boat is an inboard, is it a true inboard with a shaft to prop or more likely a I/O ( inboard/outboard )
If it is inboard , they do develop leaks in the packing box around the shaft exit point.
If it is an I/O, is it OMC, mercruiser, or volvo, all of them are prone to leaking in certain areas over time.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks