Walleye wing question

done working

I am wonder what people do when they remove the wings from walleye. Do you scale the skin? Remove the skin? Do you remove the silver skin on the inside? I have always just carved out the meat in the past but would like to try having the proper wings.

I score the skin while they are still attached. I then grab the edge of the skin with a pair of pliers and pull it off. Then I cut the wings from the fish. Give them a good rinse then good to go!

I score the skin while they are still attached. I then grab the edge of the skin with a pair of pliers and pull it off. Then I cut the wings from the fish. Give them a good rinse then good to go!
Can you please elaborate on score the skin...where, I hate the skin on them..I have in the past just scaled the wing area, skinlesswings make me happy..how buddy how...

Just trow them in some flower and spices and then some hot oil and injoy them why make a good meal into alot of work Lol 😆

Rake your fillet knife towards its mouth before removing the wings, most of the scales go flying off.

With the mouth being 3 o'clock, cut from 4 O'clock all the way around to 2 O'clock, then fillet the skin off the cheek as you would a full fillet. Much easier to do when still attached to the fish than cutting your fingers with a toonie sized piece of fish.

Can you please elaborate on score the skin...where, I hate the skin on them..I have in the past just scaled the wing area, skinlesswings make me happy..how buddy how...
I point the blade on my knife up and just go under the skin. I outline the area the I am going to cut through to remove the wings. Pull on the skin under the chin of the fish back towards the fins and the skin will pull right off. Is easier to do while still on the carcass as you have something to hold onto. Hope that helps....

I usually take the cheeks, but as good as they are, for the general size of the walleye that I've been fortunate enough to bring home (2-3 lb range) when I've had the privilege to go out with some members in their boats, I generally don't bother with the wings. I find it to be to much of a hassle for too little meat, especially since I have the smile of a hockey player. I'm missing a few chicklets that would make eating the wings of a walleye, challenging, if not for some, very entertaining???;):LOL:

With the mouth being 3 o'clock, cut from 4 O'clock all the way around to 2 O'clock, then fillet the skin off the cheek as you would a full fillet. Much easier to do when still attached to the fish than cutting your fingers with a toonie sized piece of fish.
That's for the cheek..we are talking the wings or pec fins..a

I usually take the cheeks, but as good as they are, for the general size of the walleye that I've been fortunate enough to bring home (2-3 lb range) when I've had the privilege to go out with some members in their boats, I generally don't bother with the wings. I find it to be to much of a hassle for too little meat, especially since I have the smile of a hockey player. I'm missing a few chicklets that would make eating the wings of a walleye, challenging, if not for some, very entertaining???;):LOL:
Wing meat falls off the bone..great little piece of fish..and the fins are crispy..I wait till I have a bunch and cook them all or will do half fillets and half pec..on the bigger ones I'd like to skin the pec..

I point the blade on my knife up and just go under the skin. I outline the area the I am going to cut through to remove the wings. Pull on the skin under the chin of the fish back towards the fins and the skin will pull right off. Is easier to do while still on the carcass as you have something to hold onto. Hope that helps....
Gonna try that next time..not a fan of the skin on the pec when I eat it..dont mind the white liner but not the skin..

Thanks guys. I already have them off the fish now but am pretty sure that I can get the tip of the knife under the skin and save the meat. The one or two bites that come off the wings are worth the minute or two it takes to get it.

The one or two bites that come off the wings are worth the minute or two it takes to get it.
This response is purely for everyone's entertainment. Hope it gives you a good laugh. I lived it and I laughed. Picture this, first time I tried them, I take the walleye wing in hand, 🤤🤤🤤just as you would. I place it in mouth, again, just like you would. Then I remove the wing but unlike you, that wing has been untouched by teeth because the teeth I need for eating such delicacies (my front teeth) aren't there and all the meat on that wing is still intact and attached:wacky::wacky::wacky::LOL: Everyone else is digging in for seconds or thirds and I'm standing there holding the first one with a look of "well damn.:wacky::wacky:o_Othat didn't work:wacky::wacky:o_O." Everyone had a good laugh, including me, I adapted as I have with eating apples, ribs, corn on the cob etc, but from then on, for the amount of meat I'd get from the wings of those smaller eyes, it's not worth the effort. For the bigger ones, sure I'll take the wings but, most of the walleye I bring home, it's not worth it because as I said, the teeth I'm missing are the most important ones that get used when eating walleye wings, my front teeth, (AND this is your cue to start singing, " All I want for Christmas is my two front teeth" everyone ;):LOL:)

Back