Walleye Setup Questions

Klinker24

Hello

First of all, thanks to everyone on this site for all of the great information.

I was out Sunday for the first time in our boat trying to catch a few walleye. I have and 18 foot lund, 2 dipsey rods, 1 10 colour leadcore and 1 8 colour leadcore.

I had the dipseys set on number 3 out the sides of the boat and the leadcore's running out the back on the inside of the dipseys. I only managed to get 2 walleye but did manage to get several tangles. When the dipseys would go off, it seemed like they wouldn't go over the leadcore to get to the middle of the boat at the back. Am I doing something incorrectly? Is there turning techniques that I should be using to avoid tangles on the leadcore? I also had my 2 leadcores get tangles when we made a turn. The tangle was so bad I had to cut it off and lost the 10 colour for the day. Any suggestions on how to run these 4 poles without tangles would be great.

Two important factors when running multiple rods as you are doing, constant speed and big big big big turns, more rods equals larger turns....

Having said that, slight turns also helps to trigger a bite, there pay attention to which rod fires when you make a gentle turn (inside rod slow up and likely goes deeper, outside rod speeds up and likely comes up in water column), this provides an indication as that what the fish want (faster or slower).

Good luck out there

Herefishyfishy

Hey Klinker
I personally would recommend running the lead off of planer boards and setting dypsie to no more than 2 setting. That way they stay inside of the lead core. I have run this way and not had a tangle yet. As I say YET:eek:
As stated very slow wide turns and steady speed will also help

Hey Klinker,

Unless you are running lead on planer boards, only keep one leadcore out the back of the boat. If you run two with rods say 4 feet apart only at their buttend, the first turn will tangle badly ALWAYS! Run only one out the back.

Dipseys go off, keep them to the side they came off of, try to steer the fish with rod...or boat to achieve this. Letting the fish go the middle where the lead is will tangle.

I myself would choose to imply boards with the Mast! They just run better on even the roughest of days on ALL the great lakes! I own off -shore in-line boards and come rough water they are a site to see! Good luck with your choice and be safe!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks