Walleye Information

I most certainly did. And prior year was better - by a landslide. 2019 was the year of limiting out anywhere any time on any lure and almost any depth. 2020 wasn't even close. I am talking to eastern basin - perhaps Derkd9 you fish in the western basin or some other mythical lake Erie waters where 2020 was better than 2019?

I was suggesting that 2020 was worse than 2019 that's all. and 2018 was also really good. So it just felt like 2020 was a step backwards. I didn't think 2020 was actually great at all - more like an average year
Oh yah, well sounds like the fish never made it to the east end this year. Or did so late in the season.
but the walleye fishing was most definitely great this year. and will be for the next few years at least. Hopefully the water temps and bait fish bring the Walleye to the eastern basin next year for yah.
cheers 🍻

maybe keep in mind that this is a scientific study which measures walleye caught in nets not by fishing reports. Also as mentioned by other fishermen Fishing was better in the west than the east in 2020, I am in the east and did much better in 2019 than 2020.

I was suggesting that 2020 was worse than 2019 that's all. and 2018 was also really good. So it just felt like 2020 was a step backwards. I didn't think 2020 was actually great at all - more like an average year
Well I can assure you there were alot more fish in the lake in 2020 than there was in 2019. And the numbers of catchable sized fish is only going to increase for the next few years. Whether or not they actually get caught is up to the anglers, I limited out every trip this year 🤷🏻‍♂️ the fish are there, just gotta find them...

Josh

I started fishing Erie in 2019. After limiting out in 2-3 hours we tried for other species but just could not keep the walleyes off. Trolled 1.5 mph for silvers and 3.5 for rainbows but all we caught were more walleyes. This year was a shock compared to last. We did mark many but they were not hitting our lures. As other have said, there were so much bait this year that the walleyes were not interested in our lures and many did not migrate pass Port Glasgow. Hope 2021 will be similar to 2019. I like to bring my young kids but they loose interest and ask to go home when your catching only 4 fish in 6 hours with 10 lures out. LOL.

I had a pretty good year. I didn’t always limit out but the over all size of the walleyes caught were all over 3lbs.

If we didn’t limit we were only 1 or 2 off. Personally I really enjoy the time out in the water and pretending I’m figuring it out, the reality of it may be different.

This whole year has been ****** so I’ll take any good news towards my most favourite - Lake Erie walleye fishing.

But for now bring on the ice. Thanks for the good news!! 👍

This is year 4 for me.

2016 was year one and I had to learn riggers, dipsys, and Erie. Felt pretty dumb at times LOL.

Upgrading the electronics in 2017 was totally worth the money, big returns on information and catch.

I agree, last year 2019 was pretty awesome catching limits once the Walleye tuned on very quickly, and not needing to go deep at all.

2020 was still a very good year for me. Fished much deeper than in the past couple of years, not nearly as deep as a lot of people went, and the days were a little longer, but the boat's results were very good IMO.

Looking forward to whatever 2021 offers. With 151 million est Walleye, I should be able to catch a few of them LOL.

Last edited:
Something to look forwarded too,
Limiting out on even larger fish next year!

I agree Darkofish, 2020 walleye fishing was off. I never did discover why. It would be good to hear how the bait fish populations are doing.

All in all it wasn't a bad season. I agree 2019 was a free for all. We did well with a couple limits, but fewer than last year. The numbers are crazy and the fish were everywhere. I found they were a better size this year. They also were full of bait fish. My live well was always full of puked up bait fish. In comparison to the skinny fish i caught last year. 2020 fish looked fat. I think it was just harder to get them to hit with such full bellies. I also caught fish more shallow than last year 40-60 feet in early August. Moved deeper and was shut down out at the elbow. Back shallow and marked a ton. My humminbird is full of shallow marks from this 2020 season unlike my past seasons. Hear is to looking forward to next season getting started with no problems like last season.

I only fished out of Burwell and twice out off the Lighthouse at Long Point, There is no doubt the fishing out of both was nothing it was in 2019 IMO.

There are near shore fisheries in water under 30 feet deep all along the US side of the lake. In the central and Eastern basin on the Canadian side, fishing effort is concentrated in water 40 feet and deeper. I remember reading reports on this website from Josh R and fishfarmer doing well closer to shore. I'm certain that there are a lot of untapped near shore walleye fisheries all the way from nanticoke to fort Erie. I personally know of 2 that are not well known. Being the only boat out and catching them casting is really cool.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks