Walleye fishing , Monday at port bruce

Puddle Jumper

Went down to port bruce yesterday with Maestro Laker in his Boston whaler. Had a great time and it was nice to finally put a face to the name after exchanging emails and advice.

I was very surprised that there wasn't anybody around when we arrived at North Erie marina. Only 3 trucks and trailers in the parking lot and didn't notice very many empty boat slips. We only saw a handfull of boats out on the lake and after couple hours it seemed we had the whole lake to our selves.

We went pretty much due south until we hit 55' of water, We had rods in the water by 7 am and fished until 6 pm we spent most of the time in 56-63' with 58' being the most productive. We ran two dipsy's and two leadcore, too ruff to wanna use planers. We ended up landing 1. Rainbow 7. Walleye 3. Perch and 15+ silver bass. walleye went from 2.5 lbs -7/8 lbs

too of the largest walleye came off leadcore (8 colour - pink panties & 10 colour with worm harness) all the rest came off the same dipsy rod 175' back with a nascar spoon. port side dipsy rod never caught a single fish even using same lures & depth (WTF) We ran various body baits for most of the day, but never had any action (may have been trolling too slow???) strange first time got sunked with ripplinreds or bomber this year.

other spoons had hits but never landed anything: blueberry muffin (still in fish's mouth) , Greasy chicken wing, glow bloody nose.

You must have been in a much larger boat then I was out in to be out 11 hrs on Monday. I had a couple of green looking passengers after about 3hrs of 3-4 footers. I have also had little luck with redfins this year , it was my "go to " lure two years back. Nice job considering the weather!!

I think the boat was 18 or 19' but very wide and stable , and i'm starting to think that fiberglass boats are allot more comfortable than aluminums when the water is ruff (been out in 7 different boats this year, however the fiberglass boats have been the larger boats ive been out in. I think the heavier boat doesn't bounce around as much???

it was pretty bumpy but settled down in afternoon. but my knees are hurting today.
prior to monday , body baits have produced over half my fish this year. silver/blue bomber minnow was best and ripplin redfins have caught at least 1 or 2 fish everytime out except yesterday.
The silver streak , nascar spoon has now been my best producer this year

I like my aluminum boat in rough water, but maybe thats why they call it the Humvee of the ocean!

Same as mine but hard top

Love that Hewes Craft!!! Had my Starcraft Fishmaster 2100 out in some rough stuff and am pretty impressed so far.

it could also be that the aluminums ive been out in this year have all been under 17'
and it wasn't comfortable fishing for me in anything over 3' waves

I think the boat was 18 or 19' but very wide and stable , and i'm starting to think that fiberglass boats are allot more comfortable than aluminums when the water is ruff (been out in 7 different boats this year, however the fiberglass boats have been the larger boats ive been out in. I think the heavier boat doesn't bounce around as much???

it was pretty bumpy but settled down in afternoon. but my knees are hurting today.
prior to monday , body baits have produced over half my fish this year. silver/blue bomber minnow was best and ripplin redfins have caught at least 1 or 2 fish everytime out except yesterday.
The silver streak , nascar spoon has now been my best producer this year
you been looking in my tackle box???

Great dialogue string.....boat Puddle Jumper and I were in is an 18' dauntless and weighs about 2000 lbs dry.....a lot more when you put me in it!!......I just picked it up this year and have to admit it handled the water on Monday like a trooper.....it was rough but never felt in the least uncomfortable....Horty, you might want to check your tackle box, the amount of spoons Puddle Jumper had he might have been doing more than looking;). hahaha

We had a great day, but had to work hard.....I couldn't take a rod if we were running into the waves because it was impossible to try and handle the boat and the rod at the same time.

Was bobbing and weaving all night and sore from one limb to another yesterday. All said, it was a pleasure fishing with Puddle Jumper....learned a lot and had some good laughs. Also saw my first Bow out there and it was great to see it jumping out of the water....what a fishery.

I'm hoping to get out a few more times before mid Oct.....not sure what to expect in terms of what the walleye are doing and would love any feedback you have to offer.:)

Question for Puddle Jumper! I would like to ask you when you mentioned you were 175ft. back on a #3-setting fishing in 57ft. of water ; are you running the Dipseys with or with-out the ring; are you using braid with your dipseys? and also what is your guestament of how deep your spoons are running at 175ft. back trolling at 3m.p.h. G.P.S.? Thanks kindly for your time Walleyeman!

I use black or purple "Deep Divers" I believe are size or model 104?? they are very similar too dipsy's but don't have the rings.

I was using power pro braid....Green can't remember if 20 or 30 lb guessing 30?? rod that never caught fish had brown 30lb power pro
we were trolling slow...2mph range and at 185 back we would hit bottom in 57' of water so im guessing 175 back would have had lure just off bottom

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks