Off Topic Vacuum sealer

rickr

I’ve been reading about vacuum sealers here and other sites etc. Sounds like most ppl love them.
question I have. How much can you actually freeze in each bag. All the adds show 3-4 fillets nicely laid out side by side which I’m assuming is just for advertising appeal . Doesn’t seem too practical for 100 perch fillets (not that anyone is getting that many perch lately )

We usually put about a pound in each bag for portioning then you can pull out as many as you want. Lay them flat to freeze them then stack like books in the freezer. Don't forget to date each bag BEFORE you freeze it, use a sharpie. You can thaw them very quickly by putting in a sink of cold water, takes only minuets.

I’ve been reading about vacuum sealers here and other sites etc. Sounds like most ppl love them.
question I have. How much can you actually freeze in each bag. All the adds show 3-4 fillets nicely laid out side by side which I’m assuming is just for advertising appeal . Doesn’t seem too practical for 100 perch fillets (not that anyone is getting that many perch lately )
2 ki's of walleye or perch will fit nicly if packed nicely. Lay them out single file and be sure to give them a little squeeze to help get air when it's in vac mode.
4lbs is max for me..any more and the machine seems to have a time pulling all the air out plus it starts to get bulky, I like my packs to be vaccumed tight & flat.

Thanks guys. I can't find where I read it but I'm sure I saw someone say the fillets need to be dry ??

Always lay ours out on paper towel then in fridge for half hour before sealing them up

I found wrapping the fillets in Saran Wrap before putting them in the vacuum sealer works really well too. No moisture escapes to mess up the seal

Yeah moisture buggers the seal a bit too. I’m with Derkd9. Paper towel and pat dry. I put about 1.25 lbs per bag. Meal size for the girls and I. If I’m building some stock for a big fish fry, I’ll pack them up pretty good.

Do you put your favourite seasoning on before vacuum packing the fillets? Think this would work well .

Wait until the fillets are thawed to season and then we only season lightly, as above like to taste the fish.

How many do you eat at one sitting?
Vacuum bags come on a roll. You could make it 8’ long but how big is your freezer?
You could open 6 packs if you were hosting a party of 12??????

How many do you eat at one sitting?
Vacuum bags come on a roll. You could make it 8’ long but how big is your freezer?
You could open 6 packs if you were hosting a party of 12??????

There are three living in my home so bags of anything are made to provide a meal for three.

I like many on 6-8 buy premade bags from

Flex Pack Shop

Very good value and options.

There are three living in my home so bags of anything are made to provide a meal for three.

I like many on 6-8 buy premade bags from

Flex Pack Shop

Very good value and options.
Excellent value. Just ordered more rolls today. Always seems that they are sold out of pre-made bags when I check their site.

Yeah the out of stock is a nuisance.

There are a few of us who as our stocks decline check the site and if we see what we want, make an order and split it.

What is the popular size pre-made bags for you guys? I'm picking up my first vacuum sealer this week. I'm thinking the 8 x 12?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks