Unbelievable encounter

Dicker

I was out duck hunting at the unit saturday morning, and had this visitor come in and stay for a while
I had to take a video, cause nobody would ever believe this one (my apologies for the occasional swear word in the video, didn't really realize I was doing it)
I also shot my first 3 ducks with 1 shot, and bagged a full limit....what a day!
just click on the pic below to start video

Was checking it out for over a 20 minutes, no leg bands, and finally got it to fly away
Flew off ok too
Just stopped in to check out my blind I guess
Got lots of videos and pictures, but unfortunately my foul mouth kind of ruins the videos too much to post
Lol

Because of the hawk. I was in little rice Friday and seen one flying around all morning similar colors and thought it was a little close for comfort.

Hey Paul had a similar encounter turkey hunting last spring
had this guy come out of a tree landing right beside me young
great horned owl sat beside me for about 45 min he even let me pet him

Attachments

• 132.JPG
    132.JPG
    914.5 KB · Views: 25
I've got another video of me trying to give it one of my ducks, a bw teal
it didn't want anything to do with it, I left it on the decoy bag for over 10 minutes too

Come on. Looks like a bird just released from it's cage. Did it have a flee collar on it?Having said that. That's awesome and a once in a lifetime experience for sure!

That is simply wild! The bird must have been humanized somewhere along the line
or perhaps he thought Dicker was looking pretty good? Thanks for sharing.

I was in the office when Dicker was checking out and couldn't believe what I was watching when he showed the video to us on his phone. Just amazing!!! It's great that you got pics and video footage. You'll be telling that story for a long time!

This is very cool and strange. Sorry Dicker the video is not that good quality, but you never claimed to be working for the Nature Channel. It looks to me to he a young Northern Harrier (used to be called marsh hawk) from the white butt and kind of delicate feet and claws compared to other hawks. I have never heard of these guys being used for falconry. Maybe some of the very knowledgeable guys for LPW or Bird Studies who frequent here could confirm the exact species for us?

Good eye, singlemalt. Looks like a female harrier to me. I flew a male for a short time back in the day and I would absolutely say they are not common anywhere in falconry, but something is definitely up with that one...

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks