Off Topic Trolling rod location setup

Minnownite

Looking for opinions on how to set up the boat. Prefer not to drill too many holes on mistake lol. What I plan on using. Found a pic of my boat from an old ad. This year I have Scotty rod holders.

Leadcore, downrigger and dipsy in the future. In the picture is my idea

Red out the back is flat line leadcore.
Red out the side is leadcore on inline planer boards (maybe full size one day)
Green is down rigger.

Blue is dipsy, not sure on infront or behind the windshield. 20190703_163343.jpg

you have no versatrack or similar way of attaching rods holders?

The red off the back make them your downrigger rods.
Green your leadcores( I hate leadcore, there is so many other ways of getting depth without 3-400' of line out.)
Red on side and first blue inline boards or dipsys.
Get rid of the blue infront of the windshield, that's not convenient placing.
Unless your boat is 24-25 more than likely you won't have 5 people fishing in it,, you don't need 10 rod holders.. I've got 6 on my boat and I can count the times on one hand I utilized all of them at once.

I do boards forward, then dipsies, then triggers...except I rarely run dipsies..just inline boards with deep diver body baits and riggers. Horty and I were contemplating the techniques best used on Erie with all the eyes in the swim. We agreed that all you really need to do is flat line a body bait that goes to 20 feet or put on some inline weight to get you in the zone.
.it is fun to use all the crap we've spent our $$$$ on though...?

Looking for opinions on how to set up the boat. Prefer not to drill too many holes on mistake lol. What I plan on using. Found a pic of my boat from an old ad. This year I have Scotty rod holders.

Leadcore, downrigger and dipsy in the future. In the picture is my idea

Red out the back is flat line leadcore.
Red out the side is leadcore on inline planer boards (maybe full size one day)
Green is down rigger.

Blue is dipsy, not sure on infront or behind the windshield. View attachment 15464

Drill all the holes you want on the gunnels they are for looks not structural. Fill unwanted holes with 2 part gel coat and match the paint on glass boats. On metal just pop a pan head bolt in the unwanted hole no one ever asked me what the “screws” were for when I traded or sold a boat. It is your boat more important that you are happy then worrying about screw placement.

I have my boards in front of my dipseys. I like to run my dipseys rods flat or even tip down and my clip on planner rods all most straight up. Scotty makes a dingus that lets you use their rod holders in a track system. So maybe a Track system on the cheap? I all so very seldom run more than 5 rods its just too much work to run more.

Riggers at the back, Dipseys, then Leadcore at the front is how my boat is set up. I run big boards if using more than 6 lines. Small boards for 6 or less. Works great.
Also go with the Scotty Orca's for your dipsey rods.
Great holders and won't break the bank.
A track system is the way to go and you can buy adaptors for your Scotty rod holders.

Good Luck
Doug

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks