Off Topic Troll Master

Teddy69

Hey all I’m thinking about adding troll master remote throttle control to my kicker motor wondering if any here has one? Are they any good? Or is there a better brand perhaps?

Put an Itroll unit on my Yamie 8hp this spring . 8 has remote controls like the big motor. Love it. Have a stiff cable so it was difficult to get speed right. Now I can set speed easily/accurately. Would recommend. Not a hard install couple hrs and the 1 tweak.

Just got this new “to me” boat it’s a inboard/outboard mercruiser gonna make up arm to steer both it and kicker and I’d like to install throttle control on the kicker I was just curious how fine they adjust can you go up or down small mph increments?
Put an Itroll unit on my Yamie 8hp this spring . 8 has remote controls like the big motor. Love it. Have a stiff cable so it was difficult to get speed right. Now I can set speed easily/accurately. Would recommend. Not a hard install couple hrs and the 1 tweak.

I installed the trollmaster 3 on my Merc 15hp kicker. I like it. It helps me manage the speed. Set it and forget it. My old kicker would back off slowly and before you knew it your speed was off. This helps me maintain and dial it in. Also the idle button helps while you are away from throttle lever and want to slow down to assist with the fight of a fish. Push it again and resets itself to the last speed setting. The full throttle button also is also a help. I have hit it a couple times to change lure speed and have triggered hits. Its a cool toy and upgrade.

I had a trollmaster on my last boat but put an i-troll on my current one. The i-troll has more features and is a nicer setup but I find the programming a bit confusing and complicated so I don't use all the fancy features anyway. Either one works nice for fine tuning boat speed.

A fishing friend and I both installed the Trollmaster Pro 3 on our boats about 4 years ago.
Not sure how we ever managed without it.
Highly recommend.

I just picked up one these units I have really only started using it. The hunt mode is very cool, at least once you figure it out, lol. Steve is a very helpful guy who builds them I know at least one charter capt on Lake O swears by the unit.. the pricing, at least when I ordered in the the spring was really competitive

Last edited:
Itroll can adjust very fine. 0.1mph not an issue that's as fine as my gps reads. No tach. on kicker so use gps ground speed.

If your just looking for basic throttle control without the bells and whistles. You can build your own for about $60 or so with parts from Amazon. I also installed a tach on my 9.9 and wired the display to the dash. I can control as fine as 10-20 rpm

I have a Trollmaster Pro 2 on my Pro Kicker and wouldn't be without it ever again. It has been flawless for many years now. I didn't need the steering feature or handheld remote. I have the newer style servo that gives more finite control over the original ones. If I can offer any advice it would be to make sure you run the cables far away from the main power cables that run to the front as it creates interference/noise that can affect the operation of it. Much like supply power to the electronics as discussed previously. I've even heard of guys wrapping them in a foil backed wrap in cases where they are in close proximity to other power sources. Good luck!

If your just looking for basic throttle control without the bells and whistles. You can build your own for about $60 or so with parts from Amazon. I also installed a tach on my 9.9 and wired the display to the dash. I can control as fine as 10-20 rpm
I am interested. How did you set it up with basic throttle control. I am running a 15 hp evinrude.

You can follow this tutorial https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/TTSquared/outboard-motor-throttle-controller-4edfd5

Or just look up “control servo motor with potentiometer” for a more simplified install. You literally need an arduino or esp32 ($5) power supply, servo and potentiometer (rotary volume control) some wire. $25
All you need to figure out is how to mount the servo and connect it to your throttle. Heck you could even buy the mount brackets and servo from troll master that is custom to your engine

You can follow this tutorial https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/TTSquared/outboard-motor-throttle-controller-4edfd5

Or just look up “control servo motor with potentiometer” for a more simplified install. You literally need an arduino or esp32 ($5) power supply, servo and potentiometer (rotary volume control) some wire. $25
All you need to figure out is how to mount the servo and connect it to your throttle. Heck you could even buy the mount brackets and servo from troll master that is custom to your engine
Thank you. Time to do some engineering.

There was a thread a while ago on here also

Yup I ordered the 3 parts from Amazon just now tax, delivery everything $100 I’ll tinker with it this weekend think I’ll use aircraft cable to connect servo to carb
I did the same. And plan on playing this weekend.

I used 80lb
Yup I ordered the 3 parts from Amazon just now tax, delivery everything $100 I’ll tinker with it this weekend think I’ll use aircraft cable to connect servo to carb
Fluorocarbon. It needs to be flexible so you can over ride it manually if needed and I copied the mounting bracket for my motor shown on troll master website. It needs to be rigid metal
i used a side of an electrical device box that I had kicking about. I just wanted to see if I could build it and get it to work. And wholly crap. It did !!

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks