Today's Adventure

trky chsr

I can't believe how far out the huts are this year! Good thing it's easy walking. I kept to the left a bit and went out to the area where the first permanent huts are. I thought I was in a hotspot as I caught 2 nice keepers in the first 20 min. It slowed down though with small ones hanging around most of the time and a few big ones every 40min or so. I kept 8, lost 4 and had at least 4 or 5 more take a couple of swipes at the bait, miss and then swim away. I caught lots of small ones though. I had some excitement when a big pike showed up. It took 4 or 5 swipes at my jigging spoon and then disappeared for a few minutes. I put on my big jigging Rapala and he missed it once but then nailed it. Unfortunately I had my drag set really light and when I set the hook it just peeled line out without hooking it good. A couple of head shakes and it was gone. It was probably 30", so a nice one. I got there (with the last parking spot) at 8 and left at 2:00. I was in a Clam Nanook if anyone saw me. TC

I can't believe how far out the huts are this year! Good thing it's easy walking. I kept to the left a bit and went out to the area where the first permanent huts are. I thought I was in a hotspot as I caught 2 nice keepers in the first 20 min. It slowed down though with small ones hanging around most of the time and a few big ones every 40min or so. I kept 8, lost 4 and had at least 4 or 5 more take a couple of swipes at the bait, miss and then swim away. I caught lots of small ones though. I had some excitement when a big pike showed up. It took 4 or 5 swipes at my jigging spoon and then disappeared for a few minutes. I put on my big jigging Rapala and he missed it once but then nailed it. Unfortunately I had my drag set really light and when I set the hook it just peeled line out without hooking it good. A couple of head shakes and it was gone. It was probably 30", so a nice one. I got there (with the last parking spot) at 8 and left at 2:00. I was in a Clam Nanook if anyone saw me. TC
Where abouts where you? I don't fish Lake Erie ice fishing would like to start and take my boys for a day

Where abouts where you? I don't fish Lake Erie ice fishing would like to start and take my boys for a day

The 2 access points are St Williams and Old Cut on Long Point. I usually set out from St Williams unless I can't park there and in that case I will take the drive to Old Cut. TC

Nice report! I was thinking about making a solo trip down to the bay this weekend. I'm hoping to leave the big pop up at home as I will be by myself and the winds don't look too bad for sunday morning- but is the bay shallow/clear enough to sight fish without a hut?

Back