This years walleye classes...

DaveJ

I needed a bunch of walleye for an upcoming family fish fry..and I like the bigger fillets as I cut them into perch-ish size for ease of frying and ease of serving 7 or 8 people...so I went to Steelheads in St.Thomas..my fav local fish market. I was able to get the bigger fillets I wanted..those 4ish lb fish...but I was SHOCKED to see the ammt of small fillets...like 8-10" skinny fillets. Ive seen better piles of perch. The woman commented on how many smalls were coming in from the netters...LOTS!. Im a bit surprised that the nets capture these small fish unless theyre in the perch nets maybe?? This may be a common almost nuisance catch this summer..late Aug last year we were getting a bunch.

Those are what's know has restuarant fish. The perfect size for a whole fillet to put on a plate at a restaurant. That's the size restaurants want.

I needed a bunch of walleye for an upcoming family fish fry..and I like the bigger fillets as I cut them into perch-ish size for ease of frying and ease of serving 7 or 8 people...so I went to Steelheads in St.Thomas..my fav local fish market. I was able to get the bigger fillets I wanted..those 4ish lb fish...but I was SHOCKED to see the ammt of small fillets...like 8-10" skinny fillets. Ive seen better piles of perch. The woman commented on how many smalls were coming in from the netters...LOTS!. Im a bit surprised that the nets capture these small fish unless theyre in the perch nets maybe?? This may be a common almost nuisance catch this summer..late Aug last year we were getting a bunch.
Size will totally depend upon the year class of the school that you are fishing.

Back