Thermacell

Morecowbell23

Any input on the Thermacell.
Pro's & con's, cost to run.

Thanks in advance.

Use mine late season turkey hunting. Would be eaten alive without it. Little buggers come to the open window and turn around. Every time. Wife won't sit by the fire without it hanging from the chair arm. Cost to run? Don't know, don't care... a bargain at twice the price.

They deff work, when I bought mine the unit its self cost 29.99 at Canadian tire sure you can find it there or else where for around that price.. the refills are also around that price.. maybe 21.99? Not sure on those.. they usually come with 4 cartridges of butane an 16 of the blue repellant patches.. the butane cartridges last 8 hourish.. an the patch last about 2

I’ve had one since they came out. The real test was 2 years ago while spring hunting for bear in Nakina about a 14 hour drive north where the black flies are as thick as the trees. While in my stand bow hunting I turned that sucker on and the black cloud disappeared in a couple of minutes. We use them at the fire every weekend. Worth every penny. I thing else out there as effective.

Love them. Have 3! Bear hunting, turkey hunting, camping with the kids, must have for sure! I order the large refil kits (double kit) from Costco.ca. Was the best price I could find over the years.

They work !! Only needed the one so far in the blind and when just sitting around or around a camp fire I just hang it on the arm of thr chair and who ever sits on that side of me is covered as well , and it sure beats having to coat yourself with bug spray !

Last edited:
Best thing since the invention of the mosquito. I use mine around the yard in the stand and on the boat. Lake flies are around but seem to avoid the immediate area. Only need it on a very calm day on the water seems to help.

There are a lot of gimmicks out there........this is not one of them! They flat out work!! Late season turkey they are a must!! Thanks for the Costco tip, I’m in need of some of the fuel packs.

I have two of them and though they aren't 100 % effective they definitely do keep most insects at bay.The cheapest place to get them and the refills is at Princess Auto.10 pack refills are $59.99.

Another great tip on the replacement packs!! I Checked the princessauto site and yes still available, $60 for 10 butane and 30 pads!!

Just picked up one today from bass pro. On sale for $25 comes with 3 pads and 1 butane. So bout to find out tell ya what!

I use mine almost every day in my shop (live in a 14acre bush lot) with lots of skeeters! The pads will last and work well for at least 2 or 3 fuel cartridges! As far as the cartridges go....up until last year the best bang for the buck was to buy refill cartridges for curling irons at walmart or Cdn tire but turns out the price tripled and they now say "Thermo Cell" on them too. If you want to save $$$ jump on YouTube and watch a few video's on how to refill them! Saves me ALOT of money and is easy to do! Also one other neat trick for the deer hunters out there! A sent wick soaked in deer piss slides right into the opening like normal and when it heats up you can see the scent dispersing! I have drawn in more than a few bucks using one :)

Thanks everyone for your posts.Picked one up at Princess Auto as suggested.
I will let you know the results.
Cheers

Had a quick watch on YouTube, looks like I’ll never be buying replacement bottles again (until I need more of the pads) couple different methods, already have a couple bottles of butane around to fill mini torches...........perfect!!

Oh I totally agree on the pads lasting way longer than 2 hrs, 1 usually outlasts a full butane canister.

Very thankful for this thread.......going to same me some $$$$$...........prob just end up spending it on fishing gear though...........lol

Had a quick watch on YouTube, looks like I’ll never be buying replacement bottles again (until I need more of the pads) couple different methods, already have a couple bottles of butane around to fill mini torches...........perfect!!

Oh I totally agree on the pads lasting way longer than 2 hrs, 1 usually outlasts a full butane canister.

Very thankful for this thread.......going to same me some $$$$$...........prob just end up spending it on fishing gear though...........lol

Yeah, definite $$$ saver! It can be a bit tricky to get the nozzle just the perfect size and helps to cut a little notch on the end but works great!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks