Thames River Walleye

can't miss

Does anyone fish the Thames for walleye in the spring? Is there still a run? We used to decades ago, around Delaware somewhere, thinking back, we never got alot of fish, but a few?? But then back in those day's, probably spent more time keeping the wet river wood fire smoldering, and lightning up the cooler then fishing??

Thanks Big Rod, I checked the reg's and if I read them correctly, Thames London to Chatham closed as of Mar 15. Has it always been this way? Like I mentioned it was decades ago when I last fished there, but there was alot that did? Thank's again for keeping me out of fish jail and $$$

No it used to be open. Unfortunately the ministry decided to close the season (I'd love to see the science that supported the closure!) with the promise of reviewing if the numbers returned. Well, the 'Eyes have come back in a BIG way and no consideration of re-opening the season had been made. In fact the email responses I've gotten simply state that the closed season is in line with the new "streamlined" regs:(

IMO the few spots fished by shore anglers along the length of the Thames never could have had a noticeable impact on the population in such a large river. It's disappointing when we lose such a productive and enjoyable fishing season as the one we formerly had on the Thames. Particulary one that filled the March/April "in between" season so nicely in the London area. The MNR needs to be looking at ways to EXPAND fishing opportunities not take them away.

Josh

It's the same with Pike in big creek. Very disappointing. I wish I could teach my son to spear the way I was taught. Growing up it was a good friday tradition, to wade the floods spearing on my grandpa's farm. The 1 to 2 fish a year we took didn't hurt anything.

Personally I'm not much for the native argument, only because here in 2015, we're all just Canadian's. There's no turning back, don't think we're all heading back to our ancestry rock any time soon? Way back when we fished that section of river, was told we weren't getting fish because of net's on the rez?
Hope that's not true, it's everyone's river, and everyone's responsibility.

It's the same with Pike in big creek. Very disappointing. I wish I could teach my son to spear the way I was taught. Growing up it was a good friday tradition, to wade the floods spearing on my grandpa's farm. The 1 to 2 fish a year we took didn't hurt anything.
I bet there where not more than a dozen of us who even did it and I doubt outside the people who speared pike in big creek not many others could even find them

I agree with Josh. The Thames is a big river - shore fishermen aren't going to have much impact. If you want to preserve the breeders, they could always adjust the upper limit of the possession restrictions (ie. one over 18") They could have a slot similar to the French where walleyes 16" to 25" are in the slot and have to be released.

WR

If the natives harvested for personal consumption as they are allowed to on the Thames that would be just fine with me.....I know for a fact tho that they get sold:( And good luck changing that! Maybe I'm wrong but I have NEVER heard of ANY repercussions for natives fishing outside of treaty rights or agreements. Feel free to correct me if you are aware of examples.

I'll leave native rights debate alone.....

Josh

Last edited:
Good Morning Fishing peeps. Question ?? I haven't fish the Thames in years for Walleye and am wondering if it would be worth my while do head on down for some fall Walleye? I have always fished early in the year for them years ago and it is now coming to November . What should i use for bait?

Good Morning Fishing peeps. Question ?? I haven't fish the Thames in years for Walleye and am wondering if it would be worth my while do head on down for some fall Walleye? I have always fished early in the year for them years ago and it is now coming to November . What should i use for bait?
@Hunny -Du,I have never fished for walleye’s this time of year on the thames river,only because I am still using my boat,and after the boating season is over,I will be fishing for steelheads on some of the Great Lakes river’s.There are always resident walleye year round in the thames river system,and I would use jig heads in various size and colours with twister tails also in various lengths and colours as well.Good luck to you & thames river walleye’s ON!! ???

I used to fish for walleyes in the fall on the Thames in the 80's. I used to get a few on Virbratail jigs back then as well as smallies and the odd rainbow.

Now I spend more of my fall fishing time chasing bows.

WR

there is some good walleye fishing in the fall on the thames.we have always done well with simple 3 or 4 inch twister tails in yellow,white and chartruese and j5 or j7 rapalas in black/gold,chartruese and firetiger. Lots of productive water from Kilworth to middlemiss bridge. Also don't forget fishing in London from springbank to downtown is productive now the dam is not operating.

Back