Thames River Walleye question

konrad67

The Thames River has walleye that live throughout the entire system all the way into London. This is is my question, walleye enter the river from St Clair on their annual spawning run every year. Does anyone know exactly how far up river those fish actually migrate?

No fishway at Labatts. Its the end of the line for 'Eyes on the south branch. A few Trout and Salmon do get over the dam in high water and make it as far as Thamesford, maybe even further...

Josh

Last edited:
I have caught them below fanshawe damn in the past. So they at least go that far. Was considering going down to big bend in wardsville in a few weeks to try my luck as not looking great for local ice so far this year. Even if all I get is a stickeral it will still be something to do.

No fishway at Labatts. Its the end of the line for 'Eyes on the south branch. A few Trout and Salmon do get over the dam in high water and make it as far as Thamesford, maybe even further...

Josh
End of the migration line at Fanshawe Dam also...though there are resident walleye in Fanshawe Lake that do move further upstream.

King Joe Outa Here!

I have lived in the vicinity of the Thames River pretty much all my life . I have caught walleye at Fanshaw dam many years ago , but in all my years of fishing that river I have yet to see or catch any walleye on the up stream side of Fanshaw dam. Pike yews but not walleye

Appreciate the feedback---my curiosity was based on "the distance travelled by the St.Clair walleye. Would a walleye entering the Thames from the lake to spawn, actually travel as far as the London area to lay its eggs.

Appreciate the feedback---my curiosity was based on "the distance travelled by the St.Clair walleye. Would a walleye entering the Thames from the lake to spawn, actually travel as far as the London area to lay its eggs.
Yes sir they do and right up to Fanshaw dam

No idea what a pike-yew is. For sure, walleye in Fanshawe Lake. You've just not caught em, is all.

King Joe Outa Here!

Josh
Highly unlikely that any eyes would get over the Thamesford dam.
I have lived in the vicinity of the Thames River pretty much all my life . I have caught walleye at Fanshaw dam many years ago , but in all my years of fishing that river I have yet to see or catch any walleye on the up stream side of Fanshaw dam. Pike yews but not walleye
Definitely eyes in the Thames north of London up to St. Marys.
Years back adults were stocked in the Thames at Plover Mills Rd.
Not sure if it's still being done.
This is how they are in Fanshawe.

End of the migration line at Fanshawe Dam also...though there are resident walleye in Fanshawe Lake that do move further upstream.

King Joe Outa Here!
@King Joe I agree & I personally have had luck for many year’s now catching walleye’s above Fanshawe Lake,(a couple of older photo’s),wether it would be out of a kayak,CC117CD2-4348-4C7F-B2F6-D3E9AAA44F37.jpeg DED4D99A-E7B0-4156-85D9-41F2E6F9E9C0.jpeg or a motor boat,(under 9.9 h.p. outboard motor restriction on Fanshawe Lake),or even offshore while casting lure’s & jig head’s with twister tails of various colours.While fishing off shore on one of my trip’s on Fanshawe Lake last November,2020 for bass F48905FC-9B63-4B3B-A183-63B73E22F783.jpeg E87450CD-D8B4-4FEE-A396-1F91A912F45D.jpeg C83E068B-3ACE-4C84-B42A-B14E0A7EA466.jpeg before the bass season closed,I was catching quite a few very small walleye’s, (released of course). I am now looking forward to C3EF400E-0580-41EE-84D5-CEA96DBE5466.jpeg 0CF946C2-2309-4E85-909A-662F6D6641CC.jpeg 914A71E8-BC0B-4302-A1E0-6253E6323EE9.jpeg ice fishing on Fanshawe Lake this year like in some of the previous year’s,891C0EA7-EB77-4759-A450-71686786E8F6.jpeg 45B79C98-4C01-4D52-B173-220DDCCE7199.jpeg if the ice is safe,and & hopefully Walleye’s ON!! 🎣🐟👍😎

Last edited:
Walleye definitely get all the way up to Fanshawe Dam but I've never seen pickerel get that far. ;)

When I told him I was trolling for walleye out of Port Stanley and catching our limits. He asked “what’s that?” I responded “Pickerel” ;)

When I told him I was trolling for walleye out of Port Stanley and catching our limits. He asked “what’s that?” I responded “Pickerel” ;)
Wow that's incredible! I've been fishing the Great Lakes since well before you were born I have never even come close to catching a limit of pickerel, ever. ;)

1610290017794.png

Highly unlikely that any eyes would get over the Thamesford dam.

Definitely eyes in the Thames north of London up to St. Marys.
Years back adults were stocked in the Thames at Plover Mills Rd.
Not sure if it's still being done.
This is how they are in Fanshawe.
It hasn't been done for a long while. The Thames River Anglers Association also ran a walleye hatchery at Fanshawe for a few years.

So the walleyes are doing fine as are the pickeral.

WR

@Wave Runner i wonder if he tastes good lol
Funny tho when I said Pickerel I don’t think that’s what he was thinking of!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks