Thames River Walleye Fishing —SKUNKED 🦨 AGAIN!! 🥺— March 14,2022

Red Hering

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
A tough day of walleye fishing for me today,but not for the lack of trying. I hiked in & tried a few of my favourite spot’s here & there,and I casted all of my favourite coloured twister tails that have worked in the past for me,in hoping of landing my first thames river walleye of 2022. The river looked perfect with good colour,and even though I did see a couple of walleye’s caught near me this morning,it still seemed to be a tough bite for myself and others as well.Has the walleye run even started yet,because there didn’t seem to be a lot of walleye’s around. While I was fishing,it was nice to run into @stackman1 again along the riverbank,but he wasn’t walleye fishing,but only just checking out the area,for potentially walleye fishing later today. Before I went home,I thought that I would try out another spot,and it was there,that I saw @Jay and his son,Trevor. It was great to see the both of you again. 👍👍🙂 We all did a quick photo shoot,with a 68 Decal. Apparently,Trevor did catch a walleye earlier in the afternoon,and congratulations to you,Trevor!! 👍👍🙂 The last photo is of me with a walleye caught a few year’s ago on March 14,2018,before the walleye season closed that year. Tomorrow is the last day of the walleye season & perhaps everyone including myself will have some luck walleye fishing & tight lines & walleye’s on,to anyone that is walleye fishing tomorrow. 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟👍👍🙂

Attachments

• 8DDF4D6B-67BB-4379-8F12-368F02DEA048.jpeg
    8DDF4D6B-67BB-4379-8F12-368F02DEA048.jpeg
    591.6 KB · Views: 91
  • E9C332BA-8D74-4618-89A9-78A99B0B3203.jpeg
    E9C332BA-8D74-4618-89A9-78A99B0B3203.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 92
  • 241D2CB3-E576-4902-B1C6-D4B885B1BE10.jpeg
    241D2CB3-E576-4902-B1C6-D4B885B1BE10.jpeg
    601.1 KB · Views: 102
  • FC44976F-53E5-4513-B005-05876C213AF2.jpeg
    FC44976F-53E5-4513-B005-05876C213AF2.jpeg
    116.8 KB · Views: 106
A tough day of walleye fishing for me today,but not for the lack of trying. I hiked in & tried a few of my favourite spot’s here & there,and I casted all of my favourite coloured twister tails that have worked in the past for me,in hoping of landing my first thames river walleye of 2022. The river looked perfect with good colour,and even though I did see a couple of walleye’s caught near me this morning,it still seemed to be a tough bite for myself and others as well.Has the walleye run even started yet,because there didn’t seem to be a lot of walleye’s around. While I was fishing,it was nice to run into @stackman1 again along the riverbank,but he wasn’t walleye fishing,but only just checking out the area,for potentially walleye fishing later today. Before I went home,I thought that I would try out another spot,and it was there,that I saw @Jay and his son,Trevor. It was great to see the both of you again. 👍👍🙂 We all did a quick photo shoot,with a 68 Decal. Apparently,Trevor did catch a walleye earlier in the afternoon,and congratulations to you,Trevor!! 👍👍🙂 The last photo is of me with a walleye caught a few year’s ago on March 14,2018,before the walleye season closed that year. Tomorrow is the last day of the walleye season & perhaps everyone including myself will have some luck walleye fishing & tight lines & walleye’s on,to anyone that is walleye fishing tomorrow. 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟👍👍🙂
Was great to run into you on the river today @Red Hering!

Was a great day! It’s always a great day when you’re outfished by your son. Trevor was pretty pleased with his largest Walleye out of the Thames to date.

See you again soon on the water I am sure.

Attachments

• C617D56A-D531-4CA9-8753-56E35A7895DF.jpeg
    C617D56A-D531-4CA9-8753-56E35A7895DF.jpeg
    541.5 KB · Views: 80
Strangely enough, I don't feel like I'm missing anything when it comes to fishin the Thames Red. That river hates me. My dad would take me when I was a kid before we moved to the NWT and in my life it's only given up 1 smallie (at the back of the Fanshawe reservoir in 2013 after I moved back here) and 6 walleye, (only 1 since I moved back and that was caught the same day as that smallie but by the dam by the canoe launch.) Good luck if you get out tomorrow on the last day before they close it until May. (I guess that should be later today lol)

Strangely enough, I don't feel like I'm missing anything when it comes to fishin the Thames Red. That river hates me. My dad would take me when I was a kid before we moved to the NWT and in my life it's only given up 1 smallie (at the back of the Fanshawe reservoir in 2013 after I moved back here) and 6 walleye, (only 1 since I moved back and that was caught the same day as that smallie but by the dam by the canoe launch.) Good luck if you get out tomorrow on the last day before they close it until May. (I guess that should be later today lol)
Thanks @Trevor M 👍👍🙂 I feel 🍀 lucky today,and the walleye’s won’t have a chance!! lol 😆 I hope to at least catch one walleye 🤞 before the rain that is coming today floods out the Thames River. Photo’s of my thames river walleye fishing trip from today coming later. 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟😉👍🙂

Attachments

• 7BCD7E72-4318-4D14-83CD-6BE3FCAFFA3E.jpeg
    7BCD7E72-4318-4D14-83CD-6BE3FCAFFA3E.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 2
Was great to run into you on the river today @Red Hering!

Was a great day! It’s always a great day when you’re outfished by your son. Trevor was pretty pleased with his largest Walleye out of the Thames to date.

See you again soon on the water I am sure.
Yes & definitely as well @Jay like in our previous trip’s,( @Collins Harbour -ice fishing),it’s always nice to run into you and Trevor again yesterday. 👍👍🙂 You taught Trevor well & that’s a great looking largest walleye to date that Trevor has caught with a a great smile!! 👍Congratulations to you again,Trevor!! 👍👍🙂 I am looking forward to seeing you both on the water again,and maybe as soon as today or some other time. Thanks as well @Jay for the great chat that we had along the riverbank & answering my question’s about the walleye migration. Be safe & Tight lines to you both & Walleye’s,Bass,& Trout ,etc.,ON!! in 2022. Bye for now,for I am getting ready to go walleye fishing. 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟😉👍🙂

Attachments

• 57F663B8-293A-410A-A548-D1B31B8BD9CF.jpeg
    57F663B8-293A-410A-A548-D1B31B8BD9CF.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for another great report Red and great photos of the river and Trevor's PB. My buddy and I picked up 2 on Sunday afternoon. Both within 5 mins of each other. (Males) Seems some just ran through our pool and then nothing for the last hour. May get down this evening weather permitting after work for a final try. Just nice to be on the river again. Wildlife was abundant (Eagles, Hawks, Martens/Weasels? , Swans , Geese and loads of different birds). Spring is in the air. We fished the Delaware area again. Nobody on the river but us two. Surprised. I'll run into you yet bud. Good luck today!:)

I have trouble with the regs.
The open season on walleye says to Mar 15

Walleye and sauger combined​

Season: January 1 to March 15 and second Saturday in May to December 31

BUT...the regs say the Thames is CLOSED Mar 15..

No fishing - March 15 to Friday before second Saturday in May​

so can you fish today???

Feel your pain Red. I passed you as you were pulling onto the road. We fished for 4 hours. Nothing for us. Guys on your side of the river pulled out a few trophy carp thought!

I have trouble with the regs.
The open season on walleye says to Mar 15

Walleye and sauger combined​

Season: January 1 to March 15 and second Saturday in May to December 31

BUT...the regs say the Thames is CLOSED Mar 15..

No fishing - March 15 to Friday before second Saturday in May​

so can you fish today???
The wording is murky just like the Thames. lol

The season is January 1 - March 15. That means you can still angle for Walleye on March 15. March 16 1200am is when it closes. That’s been my interpretation of the regulation.

Thanks for another great report Red and great photos of the river and Trevor's PB. My buddy and I picked up 2 on Sunday afternoon. Both within 5 mins of each other. (Males) Seems some just ran through our pool and then nothing for the last hour. May get down this evening weather permitting after work for a final try. Just nice to be on the river again. Wildlife was abundant (Eagles, Hawks, Martens/Weasels? , Swans , Geese and loads of different birds). Spring is in the air. We fished the Delaware area again. Nobody on the river but us two. Surprised. I'll run into you yet bud. Good luck today!:)
Thanks @Double D 👍👍🙂 & I will post a report back later. 🎣👍🙂

Feel your pain Red. I passed you as you were pulling onto the road. We fished for 4 hours. Nothing for us. Guys on your side of the river pulled out a few trophy carp thought!
Too bad that we didn’t meet up yesterday @600mojo but perhaps another time. The walleye fishing is still very slow today just like yesterday as of now,but I am still feeling lucky 🍀 to eventually catch a 2022 Thames River Walleye,on the last day of the walleye season. 🎣🐟🤞🤞👍🙂

The wording is murky just like the Thames. lol

The season is January 1 - March 15. That means you can still angle for Walleye on March 15. March 16 1200am is when it closes. That’s been my interpretation of the regulation.
Remember to tell them that when they put the handcuffs on. :LOL: :giggle:

@Wave Runner no walleye’s yet here on the thames river for the @Red Hering,Not even at the Komoka Bridge!! 😳🥺 would you have any last years Lake Erie walleye’s left in your freezer??🤔 I am just asking for a friend. 😗😌 lol 😆 😉
It was a great walleye fishing season,..., catching not so much. The skunk was rampant today. Nada for me but some guys on the other side of the river got a few. Nice day to get out and hike a corn field.

WR

It was nice to get out for the last day today. Fishing was okay too catching nearly a 3 man limit. If it wasnt for the fish we had to let go that were over the 18.1" we would have had it. I dont know how to post a photo.

It was a great walleye fishing season,..., catching not so much. The skunk was rampant today. Nada for me but some guys on the other side of the river got a few. Nice day to get out and hike a corn field.

WR
I agree @wildeye rainbow about the skunk 🦨 being rampant as well today. I was one of the angler’s that got skunked 🦨 again today,just like yesterday.Either way,it was a beautiful day to be walleye fishing & the rain never came that the weather man had forecasted for most of today. Now,the long wait starts till May to start thames river walleye fishing again. Hopefully,when the walleye season opens up again, it will be tight lines & Walleye’s ON!! 🎣🐟🐟🐟🐟🤞🤞😉👍🙂

Back