suggestions for on board 'trash can'

Stormin Norman

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Something that has been bugging me for years (practically every trip out) ... and I know there is an answer out there within the experienced membership ... an on board 'trash can' that ideally:
  1. is not too big ... not too small - will handle a typical day's garbage (wrappers, line, rags)
  2. will not tip over easily
  3. will drain
  4. will not rust
  5. has a lid that is not prone to fly off

I fish a 17' Lund so hopefully something can be designed or purchased to 'fit the bill'.

Thanks for your ideas.

Stormin Norman

Those on my boat don't seem to generate much garbage.

Hanging a handled plastic bag from the glove box is more than big enough for a day's outing.

Open the glove box, insert bag handle hole opening, close glove box. Done.

Lund Sig Tyee 18.6

plastic bag in the cooler work for me. Often the one I brought the ice in from the freezer at home. When I clean the fish, the guts go in, and unless it garbage day tomorrow, back in the freezer it goes, guts, worm containers, and whatever else decided to fail for the day. The spare live-well has also been known to volunteer on occasion.

Just a grocery bag in the food cooler. Sandwich bags, pop cans get crushed, as the food cooler empties there is always more room for trash.

Grocery bag in cooler. Trash comes off the boat everytime..
I do what I can to limit the amount of plastic that gets brought on board in the first place tho. Any new lures or tackle or gear is opened before bringing on board.
and food that is packed is with limited packaging

We use an old coffee container, we generally don't generate much trash either, just Kleenex, wipes, paper towel.

Large ziplock bag for wrappers or other things, put it in a compartment so it wont blow away, all cans and plastic bottles in the front live well..

We use an old coffee container, we generally don't generate much trash either, just Kleenex, wipes, paper towel.

Always have a few of those handy and at least one on the boat for one of those, "Oh no!" far from shore situations.

Nothing like a good air tight container to keep the atmosphere habitable. LOL

Thanks for all the good suggestions ... I particularly like the Home Hardware plastic bucket and coffee can solutions ... about the right size and doubles for other 'emergencies'.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks