Off Topic Storing The Boat

Richardscott999

I really hate to even start talking about boat storage yet but it is getting close. Need some opinions. Boat has resided in my garage with a trickle charger on the crank batteries and the on board minnkota charger for the 2 agm batteries. Probably gets around and maybe a little below freezing. Situation has changed. Bought a house on Rice lake and am moving late in November. Really wanted to leave the chargers going again as it it such a pain in the pettoutie to get the batteries out. Can pull the boat out of the lake and again put chargers on both sets of batteries but more out in the open with a tarp covering the boat. It will be a lot colder for the boat. Does this still work or am I going to freeze the batteries with this program? TIA. The other option is barn storage with no ability to use chargers meaning I have to pull out 3 heavy batteries.

Rick

Mine are a royal pain in the ass to remove but with no temp controlled shed, I remove my 4 and keep them on shelf in basement with a charger/ maintainer. Too expensive to replace because I didn't want to remove

I've toyed with leaving the batteries in the boat on trickle, but figured, if they're in my basement I don't have to wait for Spring to find out what condition they are in.

Batteries are a pain to remove

But if you leave them in and they get ruined you’ll have to remove them anyways plus spend a bunch of money.

So I just remove them and put them in the basement on a shelf
Throw charger on them once a month.

My boat sits in one of those temp garages has for the last 2 years.I just plug in the chargers and say see you in the spring.Did this with the last boat also zero issues.Extreme marine told me to just disconnect batteries but I leave them on the chargers.

P.i.t.a. but considering the price of batteries ? I store mine in an unheated garage on the work bench with plywood underneath them after a full charging cycle then check them once a month and so far no issues. Never store them with direct contact on a concrete floor ! Never attempt to charge a frozen battery as it may explode causing serious injury !

I never remove my boat batteries and have no issues whatsoever with my boat stored in my garage. I don't pull the battery out of my vehicle for the winter so why would remove my boat batteries? Firestone Complete Auto Care reports that a fully charged battery can withstand temperatures down to -76-degrees Fahrenheit. In contrast, discharged batteries will freeze at around 32 degrees F. I use a smart battery charger with a trickle mode that applies stimulation to the electrolyte. Some heat is generated through this process. By warming the electrolyte even a little bit, the battery can complete a full charge and retain most of its normal functionality throughout the winter. If you are worried because the boat is being stored outside then you might consider using a battery blanket along with the trickle charger to ease your mind. Although I don't think it's necessary because one winter my garage was -17C inside during a 20 day extreme cold snap and was no problem using the trickle charger. I was checking the batteries with the meter and every time they were at full charge. 👍:)

I remove mine and store in the basement on smart chargers, but in the Trophy the batteries are easily accessed. In my previous Lund Alaskan they were a PITA to remove so I left them in the boat with a charger. Both ways seem fine.

Get or use a smart charger, set it and forget it, really compact and doesn’t overcharge the batteries, hard wired mine in and hook the the 110 volt wires up to a Gfci outlet

As long as batteries are Good and fully charged they will not freeze
I don't removed my batteries as long as they are fully charged.

Storing a battery on concrete Is fine. They are no longer made of the materials which caused the issues when stored on concrete. Here’s a quick read on the subject.

I have 3 house, 2 cranker's and 1 spare which will work as a h/c (all are 27 series Interstates). They are below the floor in the engine bay and a heavy pain to remove. However, I remove them all for the winter and place them in a controlled temp environment on a 4 amp X 6 charge station. Every month out of the boat, I will check the fluids and top up if required. We all have had to replace batteries before and they never go down in price so I just suck it up and pull the buggers. They are all new this year ($$$) so...yup...they are going inside!👍👍

Store mine in the cold. Fully charged to start and plug trickle charger in once a month. No issues after many years of doing it this way.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks