Storing Fish at home regualtion

Not gonna sit and argue but from the same act:

Searches without warrant

(2) If a conservation officer believes on reasonable grounds that there is in a building or other place any thing that will afford evidence of an offence under this Act but that the time required to obtain a search warrant would lead to the loss, removal or destruction of the evidence, the conservation officer may, without a search warrant, enter and search the building or other place.

Enjoy the fishing season, Be safe.
But right under that it states:
Dwellings

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a building or part of a building that is being used as a dwelling.

We're really debating how to store your catch? Lol....boy this is what its come to. What next are we gonna debate the best shit tickets to use??? Go out and enjoy the sun boys, girls and grumpy ol' men

Not gonna sit and argue but from the same act:

Searches without warrant

(2) If a conservation officer believes on reasonable grounds that there is in a building or other place any thing that will afford evidence of an offence under this Act but that the time required to obtain a search warrant would lead to the loss, removal or destruction of the evidence, the conservation officer may, without a search warrant, enter and search the building or other place.

Why would you argue when you are clearly wrong.
Posting only a part of a Section can be misleading.
So here for you is the complete Sec 91.

Search warrants, further search powers, etc.

91 (1) A conservation officer may obtain a search warrant under Part VIII of the Provincial Offences Act.

Searches without warrant

Dwellings

(3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a building or part of a building that is being used as a dwelling.

Ive never understood issues with fish at home.
If I go to the store I can buy 100lbs of walleye if I want and I dont have to label or identify what it is or where I got it. No one can decipher if its store bought or personally caught.

There are more lawyers on this board than fisherman, Judge Judy would be proud of ya'll.1588448056604.png

Attachments

• 1588448056853.png
    1588448056853.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a question for all you CO guys I have three fishing licences Ohip Michigan and Ontario. Ohio does not have a possession limit Michigan has a 3 day which allows me to catch 24 over 3 days and I bring home. How would any co be able to count,fish from Ontario Ohio or Michigan and my son has same 3 licences and he lives with me let me know if anyone knows the answer

...Hey duckman...I got another one for em..I catch, clean and freeze my catch...I also go to a fish market out by Wheatley in the fall and buy walleye and perch fillets for the winter caught by commercial fisherman. The fish market packages them in bulk for me to bring home. I break bulk and vaccuum pack into packages of a size the wife and I can eat...How on earth is a CO coming to my house going to figure out the packages I caught vs the packages I bought at the fish monger...To my knowledge, there's no limit on what I can buy at a commercial fishery outlet...
Create Post

Ontario has a possession limit. This limit applies to all angler caught fish no matter where they were caught if the fish are possessed in Ontario.
You don't need a license to have the provincial procession limit either.

@duckman sounds like you know the answer, why not share? :p

Given the states you mentioned, the following could be relevant at times from Section 24 of the same regs linked above:

If a person is sport fishing in waters that lie both in Ontario and in another jurisdiction, the fish caught anywhere in the waters shall be deemed to have been caught and retained or possessed by the person in Ontario for the purposes of these Regulations.

Otherwise, I imagine import rules apply, declare at border with possible paper trail...? Educate us...

In any case, the questions that begin with “how could a CO possibly figure out…” don’t change the legality of the underlying actions. I think everyone agrees it's tough to enforce storage rules for fish tucked away in a home freezer; that's not the point.

Devil's advocate. I go down to the fish market and purchase 5 lbs of fresh lake Erie walleye that for some reason is being sold as pickerel.... Ok never mind that pickerel vs walleye business. Freeze in any manner I see fit. I paid in cash and didnt bother to keep my receipt. How are you gonna tell me that's any different then the fish I may have caught if the boat ramps were open. How is a CO able to tell the difference between a store bought fish or one that was harvested by sport? If it goes into my freezer they all get vacuum sealed and dated just the same. Weather it was walleye from Erie or salmon from Costco.

I'm sensing a lot of guilty consciences in this thread. As much as I'm out fishing I can easily count on 1 hand how many times I've been checked by MNR in the field. Only thing in my freezer is beef pork and chicken. Oh and a little Captain Highliner.

I'm sensing a lot of guilty consciences in this thread. As much as I'm out fishing I can easily count on 1 hand how many times I've been checked by MNR in the field. Only thing in my freezer is beef pork and chicken. Oh and a little Captain Highliner.
Same....checked once on LP bay in 2015 and never checked during any hunting season. If you play by the rules you never have anything to worry about.

Same....checked once on LP bay in 2015 and never checked during any hunting season. If you play by the rules you never have anything to worry about.
I agree getting checked is not all that common.
I've been checked a little more often but it has been in popular icefishing locations.

So your saying what? Your a poor fisherman and that's why there's no fish in your freezer or you only bring home enough to eat right away or you simply don't eat any of the fish you catch.... or-rrr just maybe only Captain Highliner fillets really turn your crank. ?

Just an example how I approach this issue. Transparency. Seems overkill to some but I can sleep at night! I even go as far as marking them with a black magic marker, date, species and to whom they belong to as I have 4 fishermen in the house. Sometimes it takes longer to process them than catch them.

Attachments

• 20180804_181214.jpg
    20180804_181214.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 17
@duckman sounds like you know the answer, why not share? :p

Given the states you mentioned, the following could be relevant at times from Section 24 of the same regs linked above:

If a person is sport fishing in waters that lie both in Ontario and in another jurisdiction, the fish caught anywhere in the waters shall be deemed to have been caught and retained or possessed by the person in Ontario for the purposes of these Regulations.

Otherwise, I imagine import rules apply, declare at border with possible paper trail...? Educate us...

In any case, the questions that begin with “how could a CO possibly figure out…” don’t change the legality of the underlying actions. I think everyone agrees it's tough to enforce storage rules for fish tucked away in a home freezer; that's not the point.
you are correct if I can prove I have been fishing in the waters I can keep,that limit ie border cross and days in this area always have proof of fishing in this area in question which the MNRF said I have crossed from Michigan to Ontario many times with our limit declare at border no problem

Back