Stoney Lake

Popeye Sam

I'm going up to Stoney Lake in the Kawarthas in a couple weeks? Anybody have experience on that lake? I've read up as much as possible on it, but I'd like some advice from guys who actually fished it...

Stoney is a tough lake to find fish consistently.

Look for current in the obvious areas but also from wind pushing water around islands and points.
There are a lot of very nice smally's and walleye but you will have to work for them. There are so many great looking spots...they all look good. Keep moving, take an ice fishing approach,15 minutes and then move on. The Lake is much more "shield like" than than traditional kawarthas. Lots of rock and drop-offs. Also much darker,tea stained, than others nearby.Brighter colours at sun up and down do very well. Crappies have taken hold also.
Try some Deep water drop shotting with a larger than normal plastic worm or creature. Have a great time. Beautiful lake and scenery.

I'm going up to Stoney Lake in the Kawarthas in a couple weeks? Anybody have experience on that lake? I've read up as much as possible on it, but I'd like some advice from guys who actually fished it...
I lived in Pboro for six years back in early 2000's and did well on Stoney midday mid-summer casting Husky jerk baits over weedbeds that were in 14 fow and up 7 ft from bottom. waaleye, bass and musky hang out right in the thick milfoil beds and dart out to crush bait as it passes over. You really got to work the bait on the retrieve jerking rod side to side up down. Also, try dunking Berkley gulps in holes of thick milfoil beds. Crappie took off in the lake in late 2000's so if you like these tasty creatures, dunk same holes in milfoil with 2.5 inch gulp. good luck

Bring some top water frogs!! I fly fished with frog poppers off of points and weed beds last year on Stoney with constant success. Dawn and dusk casting close to shore caught me multiple bass over 3lbs.

Very good advice above too!! Not too much more to add.

I am also heading to Stoney lake in a couple weeks and have never fished it before, so this thread couldn't have come at a better time! Thanks for the info guys. Any other simple tips would be appreciated!

Back