Steelheading - low and steady

Jay

Yesterday was Trevor's 9th birthday and for his big day he wanted to go Steelheading. Of course will school we decided to go today. What a great day for November! We hit a few spots and covered some water. The little man worked at it all day. Learned about adjusting his float for depth, fishing the current seams and other subtle adjustments. Trevor didn't catch one BUT he tried really hard and we had a ton of fun today. He's a heck of a net man though! He posed with one that I caught. Still one happy kid even though he did not catch one himself. Like he says "it is not as easy as casting wacky rigs for Bass but I sure love Steelheading!".

Cwg69IcXEAAhlt_.jpg:small

Last edited:
Well you have to post a picture of him when he does get one himself. The smile is going to be absolutely priceless! (y) :)

Agreed @Wave Runner

This was the first steelie he's seen of any size, other than pics or the odd one I've brought home. When he worked this one into the net he knelt down and said "Dad, this is the most beautiful fish I'm seen!". It's comments like that which let me know I'm on the right path with him.

Excellent job. I still remember those days fishing for small Brookies north of Burlington with my father around that age. Now, as the circle of life keeps spinning, ot is I who take him out. Those times are so short, but last for ever in a childs eye. Enjoy it. Great report.

Reactions: Jay
@Jay... The photo of your son brought back the influential memories of the fishing I shared with my son. Here' a photo of my son around the same age as your son on one of the many weekend fishing trips just the 2 of us made to Pigeon Lake in the Kawartha's. He's 50 now and his eyes still light up when we talk of those times we shared fishing when he was a kid, they never forget. We also always stopped on the way home in Whitby for a great Chinese dinner and he absolutely loved those times together. So don't ever forget the incredible impact those moments shared with dad will have on your son's life. Thanks for sharing your story and remember to takes lots of photos because you will find them priceless down the road. :)

Oh by the way check out the pyjama sleeve sticking out on my son's left arm. I remember when my wife spotted that saying "what in the world is he doing fishing in the boat with his pyjamas on?" Hey when we're eager to get out for the morning fishing that's what a son and dad can do when moma isn't around! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

Mike as a boy 001 (1024x728) (800x569).jpg

Last edited:
@Jay... He's 50 now and his eyes still light up when we talk of those times we shared fishing when he was a kid, they never forget. We also always stopped on the way home in Whitby for a great Chinese dinner and he absolutely loved those times together. So don't ever forget the incredible impact those moments shared with dad will have on your son's life. Thanks for sharing your story and remember to takes lots of photos because you will find them priceless down the road. :)

Oh by the way check out the pyjama sleeve sticking out on my son's left arm. I remember when my wife spotted that saying "what in the world is he doing fishing in the boat with his pyjamas on?" Hey when we're eager to get out for the morning fishing that's what a son and dad can do when moma isn't around! :LOL: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 3980

I'm one of those kids. Flannel pyjama underlayer is what kept us warm back then. When you were warm you could concentrate on the fishing.

And a Harvey Deeg's hamburger on the way home. Just another thing to look forward to from a hard days fishing.

Back