Spring Time Mixed Bag

Fish em All

We have been fishing Lake Erie river mouths at dusk and night mainly trying for early staging channel catfish. Earlier this week a nice brown trout was caught bottom fishing a piece of cut-bait on a slip sinker rig. That same night we also landed a prespawn channel catfish that weighed in just over 11 lbs. A couple days later targeting suckers,fishing with ultra light gear and worms, a 10.5 lb monster redhorse sucker was brought to the bank.
DSC08629.jpg

DSC08641.jpg

DSC08663.jpg

DSC08665.jpg

Anything That Swims
Fish em All

Nice Pics of the fish guys!!!Nothing like river fishing with ultra light rods and landing monster size fish too.Excellant catch!!Congrads!!!!

Holy crap!! That is the biggest sucker I have ever seen in my life..:p I know how hard they scrap when they are maybe 1-2 lbs I can't imagine the tug of war you had with that baby!

That brown is not too shabby either! :D

That sucker may be a record....check out this site:

http://www.notjustfishing.com/Fishing/records.shtml

Thanks for the replies guys, the sucker fought great on ultra light gear!! Didn't realize it could have been a potential record but didn't take the proper steps to verify it. Heard of someone catching a 12 lber out of the Thames River a few years back!
Not sure what the hell you are talking about quinner. We have been fishing and hunting for many years and respect the fish and game laws. Do you think we would be stupid enough to be fishing in an area "posted with 10 signs" to begin with and then posting the pictures online??? You must have it confused with one of your "secret steelhead" locations.....

Anything That Swims
Fish em All

Nice fish!

The place where u caught your sucker is where I and many others walk their dogs - its a beautiful spot. I'm thinking of taking my yak down there and paddling to the lake. That stream looks so nice in spring.

WR

That is one big sucker, looks like a Silver Redhorse! Awesome!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Redhorse

Name: Jason Barnucz (Delhi, Ontario)
Thanks to my sponsors Bass Magnet Lures, Koppers Live Target Lures, Fishing World, Bills Bait and Tackle
2007, 2011 Team Ontario, Ontario BASS Federation Nation

Just a ? can u fish the grand river right now and is there a time period u can't?Someone said to me u can't fish it in march.

You can fish the Grand pretty well all year round depending which section you live in and depending on whether there are sanctuaries in place.

Nothing is in season yet, but you can still have fun with the coarse fish and the pan fish ie rock bass etc.

Water here in Brantford is still a bit chilly but I have seen some signs of life here in the last few days :)

Nice catch Fish em All I was doing some sucker fishing today and we got 8 good size ones in 3hrs, but not close to size of yours LOL!! Suckers sure are a good fighting fish one we caught even jumped clear outta the water, all in all not a bad day of fishing:)

We actually fished the Grand River today for channel cats below Dunnville Dam. Cold, windy and wet, only got a few bites and we lost a PIG about 10 yards away from the boat. The water temperature was anywhere from 55-57 F, but during the last three years we have caught alot of big cats mid April, when the water temps were in the 42-45 f range. Heard the bite was hot during the 2 week warming trend in mid to late March, and since then it seems the fishing has slowed right down for a lot of people. Everyone we spoke with today struggled to catch fish. Launched at Fishmaster's in Dunnville and fished from near the mouth at Erie right up to the Dam.... Has anyone else fished the Grand this year for cats???

Gotta love it when a sucker goes airborne on the hookset!! Great fighting fish on light gear, congrats on the catch!

Anything That Swims
Fish em All

Back