Small charters

StMarysDude

Hey all have a question for the group to get some feedback.

Just lost my job last week and going through a divorce, 2023's been so good to me so far. :mad:,
Was thinking of selling my boat 15' Legend angler, but then got thinking that maybe I could do small charters, take 2 people, couples, father & son, friends etc. although not a big boat it works for me and 2 others perfectly.
No idea if there'd be interest or what would be a reasonable amount to ask. Have all the gear needed so atm it would be launch and go.

Thoughts, suggestions, ideas?

Greatly appreciate your feedback, this group tough me how to rig for walleye and trout on Erie.

Sorry to hear about the job and your marriage. Been there, done that so I can empathize.

As for the chartering, first thing I would do if I were you, although I understand money is tight given the circumstances, IF you want to do charters, spend the money and get your charter captains license. It'll save a lot of aggravation.

If however you just want to take people out and have them help pay for your expenses and don't want to go through the process of getting your charter captains license or pay the insurance you'd have to have to do that, just advertise you have open seats here and then people can message you to get the details.

I strongly suggest you forget about running Charters. To be legal you need a Captains license and millions in insurance. Your boat has be be registered as a commercial vessel and have a Transport Canada stability test. Your boat is too small for Charter insurers to insure, etc etc etc. If you do take out people for money and something bad happens your insurance company will refuse coverage and it could leave you penniless.

I've seen ads renting small boats/jetskis, daily/weekly on Kijiji etc. Not sure it's worth it in the long run having randoms put your boat to it's limits but it's an idea

When you make your passtime/fun/leisure a business it can become a job that is not as enjoyable as it sounds
Once you have paying customers, you have lost the ability to screen out those that make the trips less enjoyable
I take a lot of people fishing, I would never turn it into a business myself as I enjoyable the social aspect. I would not want to "have to go" with those I don't enjoy fishing with.
Just my opinion

just remember why divorce is so expensive. With my ex wife it was well worth every penny and WORTH IT! If I met my wife 25 years ago instead of 15 years ago she would have been my only one.

When you make your passtime/fun/leisure a business it can become a job that is not as enjoyable as it sounds
Once you have paying customers, you have lost the ability to screen out those that make the trips less enjoyable
I take a lot of people fishing, I would never turn it into a business myself as I enjoyable the social aspect. I would not want to "have to go" with those I don't enjoy fishing with.
Just my opinion
After running a successful Charter Business for over 30 years I can say this. Most but not all clients were a joy to have on my boats and the very few that were not, were not allowed to rebook with me. You will never get rich running charters so you can forget that. You will spend a good deal of money replacing and upgrading equipment such as Boats, electronics and tackle as well as accounting software. It is a good life but not a cheap one. You are also in a good deal of stress keeping a tab on the fish movements so your clients can enjoy the fruits of YOUR LABOUR. I did enjoy my time as a charter captain but since I sold my last Charter Boat and downsized to my 18' Legend I also enjoy retirement and really could not care if I catch fish or not.

I strongly suggest you forget about running Charters. To be legal you need a Captains license and millions in insurance. Your boat has be be registered as a commercial vessel and have a Transport Canada stability test. Your boat is too small for Charter insurers to insure, etc etc etc. If you do take out people for money and something bad happens your insurance company will refuse coverage and it could leave you penniless.
He is getting divorced so he is gonna be penniless anyways so why not advertising an open seat!

Just my opinion
Also when the weather isn’t great but you still have to go out because you have paying customers 🤷🏻

Sorry for your miss fortune, your supplying the boat and all, you buds should pay for the day out, not you.
I see we have 2 Farmers on 68 now :D
A very good point indeed @Fish Farmer about the bud’s having to pay,👍 and by the way,you are still #1 @Fish Farmer you “old timer” 😂 🤣😉 👍🙂 and also a very long 68 member! 👊👊🙂 See ya on the water! 🚤🎣🐟👍🙂

Ouch ! That's a double kick to the nads ! Then you have to be buggered by the law firm of Duey, Shcrewem and Howe ! We feel your pain brother and take heart in knowing there is always safe harbour here on Channel 68. Let us know your line of work and maybe someone will have a lead for you ? As for replacing your other loss ? Forget it ! You're on your own there buddy ! LoL ! The idea of a Ride Share/Fish Share sounds interesting. As we all know too well that running a boat isn't cheap but the cost of buying one is beyond many peoples reach so by finding a select few to share the cost will keep you afloat. (pun intended)

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks