Off Topic Simrad Go5,7,9 etc with cmap - it cant suck this bad?

Navionics is still offering me to renew at 50% off, maybe check and see if you can get it discounted.

I don't have a simrad head unit, but do have a cmap na-y070 chip my hds , and say lake simcoe, there is alot of detailed area, then on erie it has more just depths and then some shoals as per say that maybe fish may be hiding along.

If I remember correctly Jos showed me on screen that the C-maps were very effective up on Huron etc where there was significant structure. Erie was simply too flat for it to be of any benefit.

Last edited:
Personally have found downscan will show me what structures are laying on the bottom, eg, the vast network of ng piping.

Perhaps a 3d perspective could even change that a bit.

Josh did sell me another chip back in the day that has a few more bumps to check out, one in particular way out were they anchor the buoy.

But really the way the catching has been these last few seasons you could be out there in a pool lounger with nothing but your pole and sunscreen in hand and catch a limit.

I was looking at the Simrad 7" package with auto pilot last fall mainly for the radar feature which did not require an arch though found 5+ grand was a bit steep for the features I wanted. After reading these threads, I contacted some clients/friends on the coast for their opinions on the Simrad units they purchased. All but 2 have gone back to the previous brand prior to the Simrad purchase. The reasons did NOT indicate Simrad was a crappy unit, more so it did not satisfy their nav requirements...clearly, their prerogative. The 2 that kept it, love it! Simrad appears to be impressive unit with great detail. However, with rastam4n;s concerns, I'm a bit surprised Angling Outfitters or Josh haven't offered a comment and /or remedy to this issue...interesting. If they have offed through a pm, kudos!
Good luck rastam4n, once you have your concerns figured out, you will likely love it!

However, with rastam4n;s concerns, I'm a bit surprised Angling Outfitters or Josh haven't offered a comment and /or remedy to this issue...interesting. If they have offed through a pm, kudos!
Good luck rastam4n, once you have your concerns figured out, you will likely love it!

No one from the store has reached out to me privately or publicly. I have had offers for private phone numbers (and I thank those people for that) but I just do not feel right calling someone on a personal number for what should be a customer service issue.

That being said, I did find a setting that increased the resolution of the charts. It is still not Navonics worthy but it at least is better then the base map that I was having to work with before.
I am using the Navoinics app on my phone and I am just blown away on how inaccurate cmaps are... its simply a guesstimate in my opinion... Hell even going down the Ausable river I am not even in the river according to these charts. If I was to plot a course down the river based on these maps I would run aground in minutes.

Look at the difference between the two maps, its simply amazing anyone would sell these units with cmaps!

Attachments

• Navonics.JPG
    Navonics.JPG
    363.2 KB · Views: 38
  • CMAP.JPG
    CMAP.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 38
No one from the store has reached out to me privately or publicly. I have had offers for private phone numbers (and I thank those people for that) but I just do not feel right calling someone on a personal number for what should be a customer service issue.

That being said, I did find a setting that increased the resolution of the charts. It is still not Navonics worthy but it at least is better then the base map that I was having to work with before.
I am using the Navoinics app on my phone and I am just blown away on how inaccurate cmaps are... its simply a guesstimate in my opinion... Hell even going down the Ausable river I am not even in the river according to these charts. If I was to plot a course down the river based on these maps I would run aground in minutes.

Look at the difference between the two maps, its simply amazing anyone would sell these units with cmaps!

Its a base card for making your own maps through Genesis. https://www.genesismaps.com/Home

That unit you have will record while you are on the water when you set it up to record...you just have to learn how to use it. I've made my own maps on cmap card for northern Ontario lakes that aren't on Nav cards.

Last edited:
This is what I was talking about.

Erie North shore, zilch for structure.

cmap2.jpg

Just north of Tobermory

cmap3.jpg

Same area closer zoom.

cmap1.jpg

Cmap, not Navi.

Back