Off Topic Self launching - quick release tether options - help!

rastam4n

Site Sponsor
R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Hi guys
I am looking for ideas. This year I am launching my new boat each morning, the Port Franks Marina is charging commercial vessels $1500 a year, so I opted to launch at Christine's for $390 a year. The challenge is I have to launch by myself, and Christine's is not a very good option for that.
What I need to do is keep the bow of the boat tethered to the trailer until it is deep enough to float, I then need to be able to go up and around the side of the ramp... (the ramp sides are at least 6'above waterline), grab my ropes (which I have hanging off a pole, so I can reach them) and this is where I need a solution, I need a simple way to release the boat from the tether holding it attached to the trailer from the side of the ramp where I am holding my ropes to guide it to the dock.

I tried a few quick release Wichards but neither of them work, one was not good for releasing under the load and the other which is supposed to be able to release under load is failing

This one will not release under load

1687125969424.png

This one is supposed to but is still not working... I cannot seem to get the right angle to pull the rope and the rope itself failed once.

1687125924619.png

Any ideas?

Easiest option is one end of the rope fixed to your boat cleat, going to a quick release knot securing your boat to trailer, and you holding the end that releases the knot. When you pull, the knot is released which frees your boat from the trailer but the rope is still attached to the cleat.l so you just dock your boat like normal.

Seen a few guys doing this at ramps over the years and it seemed to work well.

@ch312 I have tried a few knots, but most get pulled so tight when the boat slides that the working end gets bound up in the knot... Any suggestion on the knot to use... this is one I am going to try next, I like it because the rope when released just loops off instead of having to feed it all the way though the cleat.

The mooring knot above is probably best. But, why are you concerned with keeping your boat attached to the trailer if you have bunks? I assumed you have rollers.

I was nervous about launching my 17’ in bunks without the safety chain attached until a guy at the ramp gave a demonstration of how hard it actually is for a boat to slide off prematurely on a bunk trailer. 10+ years now without using the safety chain.

I just pinch the bow line between the tailgate and tonneau cover to hold the line, back in until it starts to float, then grab the bow line and guide it to the dock.

I have launched and retrieved boats from 12' to 30' by myself most of my life. Most with bunks on the trailer. I use a long rope tied to my pickup in the box clamp. At Christines this works well. Launch your boat and then retrieve the rope from your truck and then walk around the 6 foot sides and pull your boat back to the dock and tie it off. Then go and park your truck and trailer.

I put big old fenders out the sides and tie off to my trailer winch post. Works good with bunks. Don’t know if it’s going to work for you but it’s been getting me by at all sorts of ramps for years. My boat has never come off the bunks prematurely.

I have launched and retrieved boats from 12' to 30' by myself most of my life. Most with bunks on the trailer. I use a long rope tied to my pickup in the box clamp. At Christines this works well. Launch your boat and then retrieve the rope from your truck and then walk around the 6 foot sides and pull your boat back to the dock and tie it off. Then go and park your truck and trailer.
And turn truck engine off…

I just installed a cleat to the bow of the boat and used the anchor rope tied to the trailer for launch, easy to retrieve once your on-board

Last edited:
I have and Ulterra and I have been too Chicken try it. Haven't even tried at a ramp with no one around. My luck ill be swimming. lol
They don't show in this video how exactly the guy steers the boat to the ramp and if he hits it. Craftfully edited out lol

They don't show in this video how exactly the guy steers the boat to the ramp and if he hits it. Craftfully edited out lol
I've done this with my Campion at the Port Franks Marina, the key is to leave the remote on the dock as it will lose connection if you take it with you to park....

Back