Season is over for the big boat.

Three Bouys

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Its hard to put the big boat away, but it has to be done.

NorfolkCounty0-20121008-00095.jpg

Just when you thought it was over, there is still one more expense to do yet. Couldn't get 1 wheel nut off due to the stud turning and was about 2 km away from storage[:(!][:(!], so kept driving slowly.

BlownTire.jpg

That tire sucks. get her ready for next year Jim.

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146
SVOP
MED A3
First Aid/CPR

Dave.
I'll have that repaired next weekend. Didn't have the proper tools to remove it along side the road. So i had no other choice but to drive on it slowly and not damage the rim.

You missed a good weekend, the lake side was flat and you probably didn't want to hear that.

Jim

No I didnt, I am hoping to get out next weekend or maybe a Musky trip:D

BD

Big Daves Fishing Charter
519 777 0146
SVOP
MED A3
First Aid/CPR

quote:
Originally posted by sebastian

Were those Carlisle trailor tires? I changed to goodyear marathon after sevral blowouts on the carlisles.

It's a Carlisle and it was an original. The other 3 went the same way and replaced them with Marathons and this one will become a Marathon.
This trailer is used only to pull boat out of storage in the spring and then put away in the fall......low mileage!!!!

Jim

One word of caution regarding Good Year Marathon trailer tires. My last set which were made in the good ole U.S.A. lasted me 11 years and I tow my boat everywhere. I replaced them last year and they now already look like my other ones did at 8 years. These tires used to be the best ever made but now are made in China, need I say anymore. Check out the link of how bad they are for blowouts or anything else for that matter.

http://www.epinions.com/reviews/Goodyear_Marathon_Radial_Trailer_Utility_Tire?sb=1

Trailer tires which are very popular with both boat and RV owners on states side are Maxxis and Denman. Many of these said they had various problems with Marathons and Carilse which were solved by these brands. I'm not sure if they are available here in Canada but both are made in the U.S.A., not China. I would certainly consider these brands over the alternative even if I had to go over the border to get them.

Wallywalleye,

The tire shop recommended Duro tire over Marathon and Carlisle. So at $170.00 thats what I purchased.

Jim

Well I just had not one but both front tires blow out on me at the same time this morning on Exeter Rd. London. Just a bit hard to steer her to safety without hitting anything.Called my buddy at Pro tire and he gave me a great deal on 2 slightly used 18" BF Goodrich TA's balancing and taxes included for $113.00

Three Bouys...I searched Duro out as well and unfortunately they did not have good reviews either. Apparently they are very bad for checking and cracking and as all these tires from China, they are also horrendous for blowouts. Duro tires are made in Tiawan which in reality is still China so I hope for your sake they work out for you. Availability of good safe trailer tires are beginnining to be a real problem.

quote:
Originally posted by wallywalleye

Trailer tires which are very popular with both boat and RV owners on states side are Maxxis and Denman. Many of these said they had various problems with Marathons and Carilse which were solved by these brands. I'm not sure if they are available here in Canada but both are made in the U.S.A., not China. I would certainly consider these brands over the alternative even if I had to go over the border to get them.

Denman brand is now owned by Titan, which is part of Goodyear so they may be produced off shore now. The following is part of the press release from 2010.

"a subsidiary of Titan International Inc. of Quincy, Ill., acquired Denman's patents, drawings, molds, recipes and othera subsidiary of Titan International Inc. of Quincy, Ill., acquired Denman's patents, drawings, molds, recipes and other intellectual property for $4.4 million during an auction held in U.S. Bankruptcy Court. The sale essentially ensures that the Denman plant and intellectual property for $4.4 million during an auction held in U.S. Bankruptcy Court. The sale essentially ensures that the Denman plant and another warehouse the company owns in Austintown won't reopen, leaving 230 idled workers with no hope of returning to their jobs. another warehouse the company owns in Austintown won't reopen, leaving 230 idled workers with no hope of returning to their jobs. " "

I bought trailer tires made by Goodyear.Once while cleaning them I noticed they were made in china I was thoroughly pissed.I paid $220 for these tires and thought they were USA made.

I also found out the same way with my second set of Goodyear Marathons. This set just finished it's second year on my boat trailer and already they are looking tired. My boat never leaves the protection of my garage except to go fishing so I can't imagine what they would look like leaving them outdoors.

Next time around I will be looking hard at the Maxxis brand M8008 trailer tire that are still made in the U.S.A., well at least for now they are. Those Chinese made tires have unlimited horror stories behind them so beware.

http://www.maxxis.com/industrial/trailer/m8008-st-radial.aspx

Back