Saw report of 10 lbs smallmouth out of lake erie

Hopefully it was released, otherwise I know there are people on this forum that are mad if you keep a 4lber
They’ll be after him

World Record Smallmouth Bass, All Angling Record​

In 1955, David Lee Hayes was fishing with his wife and son on Dale Hollow Lake which is located on the border of Tennessee and Kentucky as part of the Dale Hollow reservoir. After a somewhat slow morning, Hayes landed what would become the World’s largest Smallmouth Bass fish.

This fish measured more than 27 inches long and tipped the scales at 11 pounds and 15 ounces, but unfortunately, the catch came with a lot of controversy for Hayes.

A disgruntled dock worker at Dale Hollow Lake at the time of the weigh-in claimed David Hayes added 3 pounds of weight in the form of random motor parts to the fish’s stomach prior to weigh-in, and for a time Hayes’ weight was denounced while the claims were officially investigated.

However, after further inspection of the claims surrounding the fish, it was found that the weight was genuine and David Hayes’ weight claim was reinstated as the undisputed world record holder for this game fish.

I wonder if they were wrapped in perch fillets?

I’m reading it’s an Ontario record?
Just a few motor parts away from being a world record.

Think About It GIF by Identity

That fish is a true giant! The gill cover plate is so far below his fist. Congratulations to him!

The fact that you can't see the shoreline and that the sun is full in his face during this time of year really narrows down the potential locations as to where this photo was taken.

That fish is a true giant! The gill cover plate is so far below his fist. Congratulations to him!

The fact that you can't see the shoreline and that the sun is full in his face during this time of year really narrows down the potential locations as to where this photo was taken.
I don’t know about that.. is this a morning or evening photo?

I was thinking fort Erie
In the morning.. but it could be an evening photo west of there
Either way it’s eastern basin for sure but that’s not exactly narrowed down

In Buffalo, the sun currently rises at 110° South-East and sets at 249° South-West and the shadows are pretty much directly behind the photo. If this is an Ontario fish, the photo will be taken facing ENE to WNW. Unless they were way out in the lake, most places you would see shoreline - other than Pelee island area or tip of long point area. More zoomed out pictures on Instagram show the shadows better.

Let's be honest if I handed out the waypoint to everyone what's the likely hood anyone else is catching a 10lb smallie. Most guys have put there boat away by now. It's more than likely the east end of Erie as historically that is the better fishery with 5's and 6's pretty common. The fish would have been weighed on an official scale so not sure if it was released.

In Buffalo, the sun currently rises at 110° South-East and sets at 249° South-West and the shadows are pretty much directly behind the photo. If this is an Ontario fish, the photo will be taken facing ENE to WNW. Unless they were way out in the lake, most places you would see shoreline - other than Pelee island area or tip of long point area. More zoomed out pictures on Instagram show the shadows better.
The last two days I have fished Erie and it has been covered in fog, this photo could be anywhere but that quality and size of fish typically comes out of the eastern end.

Won’t be in American waters for an Ontario record

The last two days I have fished Erie and it has been covered in fog, this photo could be anywhere but that quality and size of fish typically comes out of the eastern end.
I was out there in the fog as well. Sometimes could hardly even see the end of my cast. 🤯 Had an owl flying around the boat but didn't dare land, however 2 small birds landed on our rods, graphs, and even on our person and hung around for 15 minutes. Poor things were dead tired from flying and not being able to find the shore.

Hopefully it was released, otherwise I know there are people on this forum that are mad if you keep a 4lber
They’ll be after him
The second photo on Instagram shows it laying in a basket on the scales in what looks like a butcher shop, so I would say it was...not released.

Still could've been a live release. Likely needed to get it to a certified scale. The basket looks similar to what is used in tournaments?

Back