Saturday AM

M_P

Took a friend and my son out on Saturday. We were up at 4:30, on the road to Maitland by 5:10 and as we were coming into Cayuga I heard a squeal from the trailer. Caught a spark from the passnger side wheel in the mirror so pulled over to have a look. As soon as I got out of the truck I could smell the burnt grease and walked back to confirm a blown bearing. We limped to the LCBO, pulled the wheel, drove the races off of the spindle and figured we might as well go home for grease and hand cleaner while waiting for someone to open where we could get some bearings. I was back down to NAPA in Caledonia at 8:10, back to the LCBO where we caught an earfull from the woman working there for not packing the bearing every spring - LOL. Still managed to pull away from the dock at 9:30 and put 15 in the cooler by 1:00. 80 fow and purple worm harnesses on 10 colour and dipsy's on 3 setting 180' back on the counter. The bearing was my own supid fault. We bought the boat and trailer a year ago and it came with bearing buddies. I have been greasing them faithfully but should have pulled the hubs to check the condition of them when I bought it. The last few trips out I cought my self looking at that wheel when turning corners, thinking something looked off but figured I'd get the season out of it. I'll be pulling both wheels again this week to replace the driver's side and double check the parking lot repair done to the passenger side.

Glad to hear you still made it to the water and had a good time. Shoulda bought the LCBO lady a drink lol. Might have helped her calm down.​
As for the bearing. I learned this year you actually need to take the bearing and pack grease into it. Fill your hand with grease and Pat it against your hand until it comes through the other side. Hard to explain. YouTube would show best. But I didn't know that. I always just threw a bunch of grease in the hub. Figured it would make its way in and around. Was wrong.​

Back