sand hills & hastings

mrbrown95

Hello everyone is there a closer launch near the sand hills hastings area I want to try this area for some pearch.
I only have a small boat with a 15 on it so going from burwell is a long trip. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello everyone is there a closer launch near the sand hills hastings area I want to try this area for some pearch.
I only have a small boat with a 15 on it so going from burwell is a long trip. Thanks in advance for any help.

Mr Brown
Please be carful lake erie can be nasty. And lonsome in a small boat..
Play safe

Good point Bob. I see boats out there everyday that shouldn't be, Help is a very long way away,

BD

thanks for the info I do realize it is very far that is why i was hopeing for a closer launch oh well i guess i will have to keep trying in front of the silver barn

Question about Hastings. Drove down there the other day. There's a stretch of beach of probably 500 m or more where there is just a beach with what appears to be the remnants from an old wooden breakwall or weir....no cottages. There are no "No Trespassing" signs or "Private Property" signs anywhere in this area. Is this Crown/Municipal land? Could one park on the side of the road and carry a small 12" aluminum across (weather permitting, obviously) to the lake there? I believe most don't go down Hastings because of the two signs out front that say "Dead End".
Ken

Question about Hastings. Drove down there the other day. There's a stretch of beach of probably 500 m or more where there is just a beach with what appears to be the remnants from an old wooden breakwall or weir....no cottages. There are no "No Trespassing" signs or "Private Property" signs anywhere in this area. Is this Crown/Municipal land?
This area is indeed private land. I have friends who own two of those lots.
Many cottages on those lots were destroyed in a storm years ago.
My friend's cottage survived minus deck & was later moved inland to a lot on the point. Definitely not the same view over the lake but now they have a boatslip and canal at their place.
Cottages not rebuilt there on the lake as zoning will not allow it.

So are there any areas where people can legally cross with a small boat/canoe on Hastings?
Thanks for the info Woodsman. :)
Ken

I personally would NOT do it because people get their tires slashed for doing that down there. just saying!!!

Blastr

The land needs an american businessman with a brain to develop it into a fishermans paradise!!! Other lake erie locations on this side also need improved! Most people don't think on the potential of so called worthless land could be a goldmine of oppurtunity $$$.

Great question, ML.
A follow-up question would THEN be, since the beach is considered public lands (even in FRONT of cottages) there should be
clearly marked access points (municipally marked "easements") from the road to the beach areas, as there is on the main road down Long Point.
Ken

Unfortunately he's not shittin, I've seen it happen. the beach at the end is private as there's no municipal easement so i think it's a private drive.

Here's the rub ... If Hastings is a municipal road, then the county owns 30 feet each side of the center line, which makes it public property. The Navigable Waterways Act says the the federal Ministry of Transport owns 30 feet inland from the traditional high water mark, which makes that public property. My guess would be that many lots on Hastings actually only own, and control access to, about 6 feet of land, and many others technically don't own anything at all. Even though people think they bought and own all the property between the road edge and the waterline, they actually have not, and do not. They simply get to use it at the government's leisure and pleasure. It takes a special act of parliament to cede ownership of part or all of a navigable waterway to an individual. There are very, very few such cessions in all of Canada, and most of those are in the maritimes, and all them were given to nobles in the early 1800's. To get one today would be impossible.
Would I test this in court? ... Absolutely. I, with one very savvy conservation officer backing my claim, have already beaten one irrate, anti-hunting, citizen, and one over zealous police officer with it :)
Is it worth the aggravation of having your tires slashed and going through the expense of road service calls, and replacing them ... It wouldn't be for me, but others might think so.

There is public access to the beach on the point that is not that far from hastings. There is no reason somebody couldn't drag a 12 footer or a canoe across the beach!
Don

Michael, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Long Point Bay Company is one of those very few cessions given by the government for the property along the tip (which is a majority of the actual sand spit). I think it would be a PITA to carry across a worth fishing vessel to actually fish on a calm day for perch off Hastings, but I think people shouldn't fear getting tires slashed because they are within the boundaries of the law. Most times people dont ask questions and as a result, are ignorant of what rights they actually DO have. I'm unaware of any PRIVATE road signs on Hastings, but again, I could be wrong.
We have a cottage down south of Amherstburg, and while there are no "marked easements", I know that as Michael stated, the beach in front is NOT owned by the property owner. You can actually walk down Lakewood beach all the way to Holiday Beach. (Although, there's a duck hunting club that has put a fence up, but do not believe you could be legally charged for walking the shoreline according to the Nav. Waterways Act.)
Ken

An easement is not "owned" by a municipality or any Ministry. The easement is provided by the property owner to allow services to be delivered by the Province and Municipality. Yes that's including widening a roadway, or putting a bus stop in front of your home. You own it and pay taxes on it., until the government says they need it. That is called imminent domain. That where you own a home and the government says it's in the publics best interest that they buy you out and put in a cloverleaf for a new highway. Or a stadium they never built in the north end in Hamilton.

Back