Off Topic Sad day yesterday

Trevor M

Just before Christmas 7 years ago my wife and I took one of her two Blue Point Siamese (Nefertidi) to the emergency vet clinic and sadly had her put down. She was 10 and had a previously undiagnosed heart condition that we knew nothing about until it was too late. After that, we made sure the other one (Cleopatra) was seen at least once a year by the vet, (more if required) and found out at the first visit that she had a thyroid issue, so we started her on the medication prescribed by the vet to treat it. Over the years we've had to tweak the dosage a few times.

Two weeks ago, she started to have issues with constipation. This isn't unusual, it's happened before, but this time, she wasn't able to clear it up on her own, and she'd lost a lot of weight. We took her to the vet as she was due her yearly checkup anyways, they did the more advanced blood tests, gave her some fluids, and sent us home. The next day we took her back where they gave her fluids again, and basically told us without further more advanced (and very costly) testing, they couldn't be certain what, if anything else, might be causing her constipation issue. Of course we couldn't really afford the testing they did the previous day, so doing what they were suggesting was well beyond our means. We reminded them of this. They also told us that basically anything they were doing now was palliative in nature due to her age (she would have been 16 on Wednesday this coming week)

We brought her home again and did all that we could, but on Thursday night, she took a turn and not for the better. We called our vet and were quoted a price of $600 after taxes to put her down. We couldn't afford that, especially after paying what we did the week before. So we called the emergency vet clinic where we'd gone 7 years ago, and although someone was there to answer the phones, they weren't open, but did give us a quote that was substantially less than what our own vet quoted, and then gave us the number of another emergency vet clinic in the city, who we called, and they honored the quote given by the first emergency vet clinic we called.

We took her there and sadly had her put down. :cry:

Attachments

• Cleopatra Feb 28 2008- Feb 23 2024 (2).jpg
    Cleopatra Feb 28 2008- Feb 23 2024 (2).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Nefertidi on my lap unusal but not unheard of (1).jpg
    Nefertidi on my lap unusal but not unheard of (1).jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 24
  • AHH bright light, and GO AWAY.jpg
    AHH bright light, and GO AWAY.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 24
At the moment, and understandably, my wife says we're not going to get anymore pets in the future.

Sorry for your loss Trevor. Our fur babies are special. You did everything you could.
Pet companions are a blessing but nowadays can be incredibly expensive. We have health insurance for our chocolate lab which has been beneficial in here golden years. Sometimes though, there is just enough medical intervention.
Condolences to you both.

Sorry for your loss
Our cat was 19 years old and never had to take her to the vet except for the needles she needed when she was young
She came to the point of couldn't it and lost most of her weight had to make the decision to put her in the better place , my wife was / is sad
She wanted her cremated and paw print ,also she wanted it done at home so the vet came over
$1100 for the whole thing but made my wife feel better
Now the cat sitting on the shelf beside our cockerspanial in eternity

For sure our pets leave a hole in our hearts when we lose them. Life is short enough for us but extremely short for them.
Sorry for your loss Trevor. ☹️

Remember the good times with your pets, their bad times are over and at peace. So sorry but life is not alway fair.

Sorry for your loss Trevor. The best cat we ever had was Tarin a female Blue Point Siamese. She was human in so many ways. My daughters loved her as well. She was struck by a car in front of out house. The car did not stop which added to an already terrible day.
Hold onto all the good the memories Trevor!

You know it when you take a pet in but you push it to the back of your mind, not wanting to think about the end. However, you won't grieve having not loved and it's the memories of that love that remain, not the grief.
Sorry for your loss, but you'll meet again on the Rainbow bridge.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks