ROC License for VHF

Outdorman

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I've been doing a bit of web surfing and am finding a lot of different information. My question is do you really need a ROC to operate a hand held VHF radio? I get two answers - not required for Canadian waters for Recreational boats but needed if in US waters or Yes in all cases. I just want to get weather reports, check in with Marina or listen to other boaters for hot spot information and do the odd ship to ship or ship to shore but very little.

I've had a unit for a few years but have never made an "outbound call"

If it is required, can it be done on-line?

Thank you

A station license in not required for a radio on a pleasure craft in Canadian waters but an operator's certificate is required (ROC-M). They are two different things, one is for the radio and one is for the operator. When people use 'license' and 'certificate' interchangeably, it causes a lot of confusion just like it does for 'license' and 'registration' for a Pleasure Craft.

It can be done through the CPS or on-line:

https://boaterskills.ca/roc-m-radio-course/

Last edited:
so now very confused after checking the provided resources, and thank you both very much for the assist. So see below and I believe that for simple communications in Canadian waters that a license is NOT required. Your thoughts please? What happens if you get caught transmitting without license?

Ship Radio Station Licensing​

Licensing Requirements​

Do I need a licence for the marine radio equipment on board my vessel?

You will not require a licence if you meet both of the following criteria:

• the vessel is not operated in the sovereign waters of a country other than Canada.
  • the radio equipment on board the vessel is only capable of operating on frequencies that are allocated for maritime mobile communications or marine radio navigation. You can verify whether the frequencies you use are in the maritime mobile band by referring to Regulation by Reference RBR-2.
If you do not meet both of the above criteria, you will require a radio licence. You can contact your local Industry Canada office for more information. All of the Industry Canada offices can be found in RIC-66.

Source : https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/h_sf01775.html

so now very confused after checking the provided resources, and thank you both very much for the assist. So see below and I believe that for simple communications in Canadian waters that a license is NOT required. Your thoughts please? What happens if you get caught transmitting without license?

Ship Radio Station Licensing​

Licensing Requirements​

Do I need a licence for the marine radio equipment on board my vessel?

You will not require a licence if you meet both of the following criteria:

• the vessel is not operated in the sovereign waters of a country other than Canada.
  • the radio equipment on board the vessel is only capable of operating on frequencies that are allocated for maritime mobile communications or marine radio navigation. You can verify whether the frequencies you use are in the maritime mobile band by referring to Regulation by Reference RBR-2.
If you do not meet both of the above criteria, you will require a radio licence. You can contact your local Industry Canada office for more information. All of the Industry Canada offices can be found in RIC-66.

Source : https://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/h_sf01775.html
That information is for the license for the Radio equipment, not the operator. You do not need a radio station license for the equipment but you do need a Radio Operator's Certificate for the operator.

What G.MECH just said ! You can order the booklet and disk on line, study it then write the test and oral exam. You don,t have to take the class but a
certified instructor from Power Squadron needs to give you the test.

A station license in not required for a radio on a pleasure craft in Canadian waters but an operator's certificate is required (ROC-M). They are two different things, one is for the radio and one is for the operator. When people use 'license' and 'certificate' interchangeably, it causes a lot of confusion just like it does for 'license' and 'registration' for a Pleasure Craft.

It can be done through the CPS or on-line:

https://boaterskills.ca/roc-m-radio-course/
I stand semantically corrected, my bad. A valid distinction especially in this conversation. I'm so used to being licensed to do anything, from fishing to driving, Being certificated is too close to being certified, which my wife frequently tells me I am

I'm looking into getting a certificate, London seems to no longer have a Power Squadron and Port Credit might be the closest.

I'm getting a headache.

I'm looking into getting a certificate, London seems to no longer have a Power Squadron and Port Credit might be the closest.

I'm getting a headache.
I have been looking at getting a certificate for a while as well. London does have a power squadron, but their courses were offered earlier in the year. The Port Credit one I believe you are referring to is full remote, so you do not need to travel anywhere. All the courses listed on that page are full remote, full self taught, so I don’t think it would matter which one you choose. If you explore the website more, there are some courses where you are taught by a live instructor a couple of nights, then do your test online at a later date. There is one coming up next week with a live instructor put on by the Windsor group. (This is where I saw the London offerings, but procrastinated)
Looks like $20 more to have an instructor for a couple of nights, vs learning it all on your own.

Attachments

• 72EE7E1A-075A-4855-9E9D-3BD87BA295CF.jpeg
    72EE7E1A-075A-4855-9E9D-3BD87BA295CF.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 9
There are online self study courses available now. The exam is a video chat. You do not even need to leave your home. It is legally required to even turn the radio on.

You can always tell who has a licence and who doesn't when you listen to the chat out on the lake. Seems pretty easy now if it's on line. Make sure you can tell the instructor the phonetic alphabet. Alpha, Beta, Charlie, Delta etc.

I’m going to be odd man out here. Yes your required to have one. I’ve never had one, but since the advent of cell technology I’ve never used the VHF to communicate with friends on the water. Just text or call. I will likely never have one. Should I ever need my VHF to call for help, I have familiarized myself with the appropriate process. They can give me the ticket after they’ve rescued my ass. I’ll take it. Your mileage may vary, and everyone has a different opinion!

Although indeed you do require a license to use (turn on a VHF radio), I have spoke with the OPP several times about this while on the water with their response being, "yes you do require a license, however, they would much rather see someone on the water with a VHF radio and no license then not having a radio at all" for times of emergency. Has anyone ever heard of anyone being fined for not having a license? Just curious on that one?

Turning the radio on is considered using it. The online course is not the best. Next time I will take a class.

I'm with Porkpie ; I have a handheld Uniden model I take out with me as a "Just in case" and so far have never had to use it for such. I use it for the Marine weather reports and maybe listening into chit chat on Channel 68 and/or a call out from CCG to assist a boater which has never happened yet. So .... you don't need a licence/certificate for that but (as I was told) once you toggle the mic and start sending you really should have it. Also boning up on the proper terminology and alphabet doesn't hurt either and that's easily found online.

Turning the radio on is considered using it. The online course is not the best. Next time I will take a class.
Unless you are doing it for fun, there is no next time, the ROC-m license is for life

I'm with Porkpie ; I have a handheld Uniden model I take out with me as a "Just in case" and so far have never had to use it for such. I use it for the Marine weather reports and maybe listening into chit chat on Channel 68 and/or a call out from CCG to assist a boater which has never happened yet. So .... you don't need a licence/certificate for that but (as I was told) once you toggle the mic and start sending you really should have it. Also boning up on the proper terminology and alphabet doesn't hurt either and that's easily found online.
No, you need to be licensed to turn the radio on. But its funny... you would only know that if you were licensed...

Funnier still is there are probably 10 non-certified users to each certified user out there ? CB radio users use to be licenced too and go way back your common household radio use to have to have a licence on it . I will still take mine out and use it like always and like Porkpie said if the CRTC or whoever wants to give me a ticket after they saved my ass.... so be it.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm ? Hey ? Does that make me a "Pirate" ?

Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr Billy !

I've been doing a bit of web surfing and am finding a lot of different information. My question is do you really need a ROC to operate a hand held VHF radio? I get two answers - not required for Canadian waters for Recreational boats but needed if in US waters or Yes in all cases. I just want to get weather reports, check in with Marina or listen to other boaters for hot spot information and do the odd ship to ship or ship to shore but very little.

I've had a unit for a few years but have never made an "outbound call"

If it is required, can it be done on-line?

Thank you
1625331541183.png

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks