Rigger lead lengths

Elmerfudd

Question - How far back are you running your plugs and spoons behind the ball for walleyes? Last week the only consistent bite was on the inline planers for us and I got to thinking about lead length on the riggers.

Cheers

H

Question - How far back are you running your plugs and spoons behind the ball for walleyes? Last week the only consistent bite was on the inline planers for us and I got to thinking about lead length on the riggers.

Cheers

H
60-100 shorter leads down deep, longer up higher

Just depends on the bite. I have used anywhere from 15feet to 80feet. If they are aggressive (sometimes you can see a fish come up and have a look at the rigger ball) i use 15feet and have good success. If leadcore is hot than could indicate skiddish fish and longer leads would most likely work better

Thanks. I was running 2 inline planers 100 back to reef runners and 165 behind the boat, (prob 20' running depth) and then 3 riggers with RRFs 50-80 back. Riggers wouldnt fire and I saw "bolters" going away from the balls. Opened my leads up to 100' with no change. Caught all of our eyes on the inline planers. That was a week ago and Burwell was slow to begin with that weekend so maybe some lockjaw. Fish were up quite high to begin with. I thought the balls might be spooking them.

We run them at whatever the depth we see the fish at , 20 - 60 ft
Sometimes we even run only 4 - 6 ft of line back from the ball , you would be surprised how many rainbows smack our chrome downrigging fish (ball) , makes the entire rigger shake !
Caught our biggest Walter this year with a short line behind the ball , very deep

I don't usually run long leads off riggers (under 40') normally 20 -30 back 10 ' off bottom as I will run leadcore off corners or out the shute and have had long leads hook and tangle with lead.

Back