rifle calibres & ammo distances & drop calculations

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
I was on the nikon spot on ballistic technology calculator site and made myself a new little moa chart for 400 to 500+ yards every 25 yds..ya type in a new distance and hit the fire button for each inches/moa calculation...one thing that has not changed for my rifle is shooting 3 inches high at 100 yds gives me a 300 yard zero...and -3.6 inches at 350 yds..

no you don't have to buy there app or the elevation turret...but you can sure use the great selection of calibres and ammo do get your distances right...works for fast tracking a new calibre and or new ammo...

I was on the nikon spot on ballistic technology calculator site and made myself a new little moa chart for 400 to 500+ yards every 25 yds..ya type in a new distance and hit the fire button for each inches/moa calculation...one thing that has not changed for my rifle is shooting 3 inches high at 100 yds gives me a 300 yard zero...and -3.6 inches at 350 yds..

no you don't have to buy there app or the elevation turret...but you can sure use the great selection of calibres and ammo do get your distances right...works for fast tracking a new calibre and or new ammo...
Just chiming in Mick . Good to see you back .

ya i am getting locked and loaded magnum...do you hunt turkeys?...i never hunted them but they are good eating..I got a couple invites to turkey hunt...so i am going this time to hunt for 2 or 3 days in halimand county...I also have a spring bear hunt for last week in May up near longlac. I was going to do an exciting bear hunt with nichols running the hounds east of bracebridge but decided to hunt over bait at a camp with only one other hunter and some good local fishing.
If the MNR would get there administrative management together and let hunters & outfitters know whats going on, especially with the spring bear hunt rules and game seals. They are having extreme difficulty allocating moose tags with a species at risk. Alot of us were looking for the regs to come out mid April now they say the end of April.

ya i was on this spot on nikon site playin around with different ammo cartridges for my rifle and my new custom shop order a mark V UL 7mm weatherby mag...i should have my new toy by sept.
ya i priced the eye catching nosler 28 calibre in a CT edge rifle from Fierce Firearms and the bummer is the price is double..BTW they are made in quebec

Last edited:
Thought has crossed my mind about turkey hunting . But the cost of the license and not being able to use an unfilled tag from spring for the fall hunt has always been my sticking point . Thing is they made those recent rule changes which is great (IGUESS), but a lot of people don't think it is safe for others who haven't taken a course to be out there . OOD magazine just put an insert in the new turkey issue which I feel was a plus for people who are going into it blind . And I feel the MNR should follow suit by sending something similar to all licensed hunters (free) . It is basically a lot of common sense , but i still see (whether it is done for the sake of the show) things like hunters carrying a harvested turkey on their back as they head out of the bush , which is a big no no in my books . And if a hunter doesn't know better ( which they should ) , they could get shot also . I was already told by a young coworker , who recently got his license that he and his friend went on their first hunt last year . they spotted a couple birds and his friend wanted to stock right up on them . At least the other fellow told him to hold back in case they were decoys and proceeded to explain why . Sure enough they were decoys . Another possible accident avoided . And I'm not the only one bitching about the tag prices . Thing is ,I don't even hunt them but I still think it's a money grab . Don't get me wrong . I totally understand a persons reasoning to hunt them . And it's , by the way i have been told , not as easy as it looks . It's just not my thing Mick . I'm just working on a couple toys myself and actually going to Jerseyville gun show on Sunday to pick up some parts from a contact and maybe do a little more tire kicking while I'm there . I heard about the moose tag thing . I also hear some of the guys are getting frustrated with the whole moose deal , selling their stuff off and getting out of it all together . These outfitters must be just pissed by now .

Yes Magnum the Turkey licence and game seals are definately over priced. That alone left some negative thoughts with me. At the time several years ago, I did go and take the turkey seminar with my girlfriend as she enjoys hunting turkey. For me I was not really that interested. Back then, I took her out to a few private propertys where she shot some turkeys. I did some local fishing and would catch a few trout while she would hunt turkey. Now thats history.
I have been invited again to go out turkey hunting. Both opppurtunities are on private property. These guys eat and breath turkey hunting so it should be an interesting and possibly an exciting experience. The one guy is strictly spot and stalk...and including next days roosted birds...so no sitting in a blind over looking a field with a few decoys....

Safety with hunting any game is common sense follow the rules. i don't think there is any increase risk of injury while turkey hunting especially with the use of shotgun on private property. I feel the controlled deer hunts have an increased risk of injury over the years.

Last edited:
ya I am not an expert shotgunner...I still have to pattern my shotgun...its just a 870 rem. express 12 guage with a 28 inch vent. with screw in chokes. so the turkey pros told me a couple of 2 different choices for choking my barrel. I had already picked up a rem. super full choke .665 years ago but never tried it and i am now waiting for an ordered carlson full choke tube.690....remington also has a extra full at .687....so with the 2 chokes will see what works best hitting turkey neck and head targets from 30 yards and 50 yards. I was also told to buy and shoot winchester long beard XR #5 shot. So I bought 2 boxes of them.
I am use to shooting my rifle and muzzleloader with a scope. the way I feel about shooting a shotgun and making a direct neck/head kill shot on a turkey demands a precision shot. The guy that reccommended the long beard loads told me he kills turkeys out to 60 yards with his weatherby turkey gun. I looked at the optics and sights they have on the new turkey guns. Very nice, Well Its not going to happen for this upcoming hunt. What I did was purchased a tru glo fibre opitc magnetic sight to put infront of the brass bead. that should help my shot

so ya magnum there is some expense starting out hunting turkey...good thing i dont need decoys and calls...got a rest and a range finder.. probably get a smaller pair of binos

in the past when I was out scouting turkeys just from the car for my GF....I use to watch some of the toms with the binos strutting around the hens...they sure would put on a comical performance...the smaller jakes were tasty too

Last edited:
ya I am not an expert shotgunner...I still have to pattern my shotgun...its just a 870 rem. express 12 guage with a 28 inch vent. with screw in chokes. so the turkey pros told me a couple of 2 different choices for choking my barrel. I had already picked up a rem. super full choke .665 years ago but never tried it and i am now waiting for an ordered carlson full choke tube.690....remington also has a extra full at .687....so with the 2 chokes will see what works best hitting turkey neck and head targets from 30 yards and 50 yards. I was also told to buy and shoot winchester long beard XR #5 shot. So I bought 2 boxes of them.
I am use to shooting my rifle and muzzleloader with a scope. the way I feel about shooting a shotgun and making a direct neck/head kill shot on a turkey demands a precision shot. The guy that reccommended the long beard loads told me he kills turkeys out to 60 yards with his weatherby turkey gun. I looked at the optics and sights they have on the new turkey guns. Very nice, Well Its not going to happen for this upcoming hunt. What I did was purchased a tru glo fibre opitc magnetic sight to put infront of the brass bead. that should help my shot

so ya magnum there is some expense starting out hunting turkey...good thing i dont need decoys and calls...got a rest and a range finder.. probably get a smaller pair of binos

in the past when I was out scouting turkeys just from the car for my GF....I use to watch some of the toms with the binos strutting around the hens...they sure would put on a comical performance...the smaller jakes were tasty too
Sounds good .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks