Off Topic Restricted Operators Certificate for VHF radio

whitbytrader

Just purchased a handheld VHF radio to use on Erie. I understand that I now need to take a ROC course to be able to broadcast messages. (no certificate required to listen to others chatting or weather reports) The only location that I can find that offers the course is the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron who charge $165 for the course. Does anyone know of any other location that offers the course? Do most people have the certificate or do they use their units just to listen to weather reports? Trying to decide if I need to take the course or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been a requirement for a very long time although not too many people paid much attention to it. The only authorized agency for the course is the CPS. You can challenge the test without taking the course but there is still a $50 fee for the exam and $55 for the training kit. You need to know your material to pass it (unlike the test to actually operate a boat) so it may not be a bad idea to take the course especially if you do end up needing to use it in a life or death situation.

Here is a link to the exam challenge:

https://www.cps-ecp.ca/public.asp?WCE=C=56|K=231266|CAL=225480

Last edited:
You can challenge the test. Or you could just listen to the weather and chatter. If my life is on the line, I'm not going to worry about my certification status in order to broadcast an emergency. They can charge me after the fact if they want to.

When I took the course, one of the instructors mentioned to me that by all means if your life was in fact in danger go ahead and use the radio ,Just do not swear on the radio, I recommend you take the course as it is very informative /well worth it in my opinion

I took the course last year and it was well worth it. I learned many things that I thought I knew... It is quite evident when listening to the radio now who has not taken the course. It was also very helpful when it came time to purchase my new radio and what to look for.

Tight Lines

RT

Breaker... Breaker....:D:D

Wrote my VHF exam the morning after high school prom back in the 80's... still passed!

Editor: changed VHS references in thread to VHF... VHS was also in vogue in the 80s...

Just purchased a handheld VHF radio to use on Erie. I understand that I now need to take a ROC course to be able to broadcast messages. (no certificate required to listen to others chatting or weather reports) The only location that I can find that offers the course is the Canadian Power and Sail Squadron who charge $165 for the course. Does anyone know of any other location that offers the course? Do most people have the certificate or do they use their units just to listen to weather reports? Trying to decide if I need to take the course or not.
Hi there I am the commander of the Tillsonburg squadron, we offer the course if you like I will give you our instructors name its Larry Hicks and contact info is 1-519-842-5618. He can get you set up for your radio license.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks