Reply from Ministry re Aircraft disturbance on bass spawning beds

fishing diva

After many letters, I have received this letter back addressing my and other anglers complaints of the commercial plane performing their maneuvers over the protected bass spawning area in the inner bay.

Thank you for contacting Transport Canada.

As you may be aware, Transport Canada’s priorities are safety and security. The Department’s mission is to develop and administer policies, regulations and programs for a safe, secure and efficient transportation system. Aviation in Canada is regulated by Transport Canada under the authority of the Aeronautics Act and the Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs). The Canadian Aviation Regulations are available to the public at the following website: http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/menu.htm. All air operators and airports, including the International Test Pilot School (ITPS), are required to operate in a safe manner and in accordance with CARs.

The department appreciates that the local community has been upset by the aircraft activity in the Long point Bay area and the ITPS has been contacted. Moving forward, efforts will be made to conduct training in a manner as to mitigate and avoid this issue.

Thank you for taking the time to write us.

Regards,

Jeron Juson
A/Secretariat Officer , Civil Aviation Secretariat
Transport Canada
Government of Canada | Gouvernement du Canada
jeron.juson@tc.gc.ca / Tel: 416-952-0166

Does not seem to solve the issue.A letter of concern to the guilty party will probably not do much.I have an idea though.While the restriction is on we could float hundreds of blue barrels all over the area and collect them later to build docks where needed.Just venting lol.To bad they just could not go out farther to the outer bay lots of water out there.

Standard government response. No admission of fault on anyones part or statement of objectives to ensure it will not happen again. BS......Kudos to you @fishing diva for submitting a letter of complaint!

Last edited:
I suppose you guys who don't like the plane using the area when the bass are spawning also avoid using your boats in the same area?

Has there been studies done anywhere to support the idea that the planes are harmful to bass spawning or is it simply a matter of opinion and speculation?

I believe the issue was the plane performing water bombing techniques (correct me if I'm wrong)....so yes one would assume this could effect spawning areas. Being that these same areas are under sanctuary regulations it somehow seems like it may warrant a second look. As far as disturbing them with boat activity the ones who actually give a shit know better than to travel these areas.

I believe the issue was the plane performing water bombing techniques (correct me if I'm wrong)....so yes one would assume this could effect spawning areas. Being that these same areas are under sanctuary regulations it somehow seems like it may warrant a second look. As far as disturbing them with boat activity the ones who actually give a shit know better than to travel these areas.
I could be wrong but I think the planes were practicing landing and take offs as it is a float plane not a water bomber from what I saw.

I have already written ITPS but they need to hear from many more voices than just mine, to make an impact. Practicing maneuvers in another part of the lake hardly seems impossible to me. They need to know that this is an important issue to many of us anglers. I would hate to see this practice continue and shortly, have no small mouth in the inner bay. I dont want to look back and say gee...we should have tried to stop this. Do I have absolute proof that they spooked the smallies off their nests? No...but with the ongoing noise and turbulence strong enough to swamp nearby boats ....... I know I,d be moving on to calmer waters if I were a fish.....

Thankyou....well said Bassaholic!

I was out there and the plane took off and landed close enough the wake rocked our boat. We didn't fear for our safety but there is a lot of water in Lake Erie and it didn't need to be that close to us.
Thanks for commenting Scribe....You are the 5rd person that has mentioned the same thing to me.

I could be wrong but I think the planes were practicing landing and take offs as it is a float plane not a water bomber from what I saw.
Thank you for the correction! You can see how those teqnequies my negatively impact spawning areas as well.

I suppose you guys who don't like the plane using the area when the bass are spawning also avoid using your boats in the same area?

Has there been studies done anywhere to support the idea that the planes are harmful to bass spawning or is it simply a matter of opinion and speculation?
Yes you are correct. I certainly avoid the area in pre spawn and spawn. The use of a 16 foot bass boat passing over a bed on the way to deeper water however much different than a large turbine powered plane repeatedly landing and taking over over protected spawning habitat. The effects were clearly felt this year especially with the smallies. Hopefully they wise up. I agree with above fully.

Again I disagree. My 17 foot boat travel over or near a bed on the way to bluffs does not disturb the water and beds in kind of fashion as this plane did. Not even in the same field. Yes continued use and fishing in the area would have a negative impact ( although bed fishing is standard elsewhere and no closed season for bass) this is why a sanctuary was put in place. Its expected people both boats fisherman and planes would respect this.

I'm not saying the planes don't cause harm, I am simply someone who relies on facts rather than assumptions. I'll reserve my opinion until I see some facts on the matter.

No need for anyone to get in a tissy. :love:

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks