Remington 1187 gas seal kit!

PlanB

Hi All!
Looking for a gas seal kit for my Remington 1187 that’s not cycling rounds! I’ve found some on eBay and other US dealers but they won’t ship to Canada or are out of stock! Anyone know where I might be able to find one? I’ve stripped the gun down cleaned everything including the action spring, polished the chamber and still won’t reliably cycle rounds! It’s my first shotgun bought new from Le Barons in the 80’s, don’t want to give up on it! Any help would be appreciate! I have attached a link to the part I’m looking for! Thanks in advance for any info!

Try irunguns.ca
They have an American store that ships to their Canadian store.
Maybe they could get it stateside for you and ship it too you.
Just a suggestion.

Hi All!
Looking for a gas seal kit for my Remington 1187 that’s not cycling rounds! I’ve found some on eBay and other US dealers but they won’t ship to Canada or are out of stock! Anyone know where I might be able to find one? I’ve stripped the gun down cleaned everything including the action spring, polished the chamber and still won’t reliably cycle rounds! It’s my first shotgun bought new from Le Barons in the 80’s, don’t want to give up on it! Any help would be appreciate! I have attached a link to the part I’m looking for! Thanks in advance for any info!

I just use regular o-rings and they work fine.
1 1/16 OD, 15/16 ID and 1/16 thick
#33 o-ring I believe.

Define "not cycling right" a little better please. As NextLegend suggests "O" rings can be found. Did you assemble the rings in the correct manner ? There should be an order and direction sticker for them on the magazine tube. Did you put the the gas seal back on before putting on the forestock ? A lot of parts from an 1100 will fit an 11-87.

Thanks for the info. The gun basically jams in various stages, light loads won’t eject, or get stuck in the port. Medium and heavy loads eject but the bolt stops about 1/8” from fully forward so the next round is in the chamber but the gun won’t fire without a tap to the bolt handle. I’ve noticed that sometimes the ring, piston and piston seal get stuck in the collar. The ring is pretty new, I’ve got a few spares so going to try another one again to see if that helps. I also throughly cleaned the action spring. It works better with some rem oil on the magazine tube. all parts are installed correctly. One unfortunate issue is the feed latch is not pinned into place, it’s loose, but once the trigger assembly is installed it stays in place. Tried to pin that back in without success and jb weld did not work. I don’t think that’s the problem as it’s been like that for years and its a common issue with this gun. I’ve even polished the bore with brasso and super fine steel wool, which also helped. I’m thinking the piston and piston seal might be worn! It’s an old gun but likely less than 500 rounds thru it!
I’m shooting a versa max now but can’t seem to hit much with it, lots of dead ducks with the 1187 when it’s working!

Needless to say I own an 11-87 and have had the odd issue but usually a complete tear down type of cleaning fixes any problem. A lot of Remington's do have a problem with that loose part you mentioned but once locked in place they work fine. Dirty recoil spring in the stock can pose problems (semi's hate dirt ! ) but the metal gas rings (placed in the right order and direction) should be able to freely slide up and down the magazine tube while the O ring is held in place by it's groove on the top of the mag tube and then of course the gas seal goes on. You say it only has 500 rounds thru it ? Hardly broken in at that number. If you can find a ultra sonic cleaner to put all your parts in ? You would be surprised how much crap you missed cleaning by hand. The gas ports in the barrel are clear ? I keep thinking it may be a gas flow issue as to why it won't cycle.

If all else fails you may have to take it to a pro ? Tillsonburg Gun Shop, Ellwood Epps, Shooters Choice, Triggers & Bows etc., etc..

I had similar issues and thought it was gas issues until I gave a very thoural cleaning. Over the years I had missed certain spots like the spring in the stalk and the magazine tube was very gummed up.
Everything works perfectly now.

Todays Semi's hate dirt ! My Dad had a Browning Auto-5 (Belgium) he purchased back in the 50's and only cleaned it at the end of the duck season and he used it a lot and never a problem but that's back when they made quality firearms. As time went on some processes got better in mass production and some worse do to the bottom line/profit picture and quality suffered as we've seen with recent happenings at Remington Arms. As far as the 11-87 goes it is based on the 1100 and started production back in 1987 (hence the 11-87 designation) but improved so as to be able to cycle all type of shotshells. I'm thinking towards of the end of their production run (which ended in 2020) quality probably wasn't as good as in earlier model years as back around 2010 I seen a brand new in the box 20 ga. 870 put together at Bass Pro and the bead wasn't centered properly on the end of the barrel and it was a bugger to seat the barrel to the receiver. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Anyways, not saying ours are crap as I use mine all the time for Turkey, Deer and ducks. Give it another cleaning ? Make sure the metal gas rings are in the correct order and direction and slide freely ? Test fire and get back to us ?

Will do! It’s an 80’s gun, I’ve shot lots of turkey and ducks with the gun and love how it’s swings and shoots! Way nicer than the versa max imo! Hope to get it working well!

if your in London, I take my toys to Gobles and they have always taken care of me. I do my best after each trip but drop off at end of year for a thorough clean and lube.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks